What kind glue do you use?

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by the4ce, Jan 30, 2008.

1. the4ce

the4ce Member

The question is in the title :)

Well I prefer Uhu because its great for paper :) I use Uhu for everything that can'd be glued (wood, paper, plastic, etc) (ok I use more type's of it Uhu Power, Uhu Super, Uhu Twist & Glue and Uhu Stic. My favorite is Uhu Twist & Glue:mrgreen:)
  2. tf34mech

tf34mech Member

I like using the Aleene's.
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

aleenes for me too! Gold bottle :)
  4. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Elmer's white was my standard.
    Cyanoacrylate (gap filling) for gluing paper to wire
    I'm starting to use Aileen's gold, I can't get to using it for everything - but it's nice for edge joints
    RCZ56 - for gluing clear transparencies. (dries clear)
  5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Another vote for Aileens, in all 3 of it's flavors. A lot of CA for bonding non-paper stuff to paper and each other (wire, etc). 3M spray for laminations.
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Aleene's in the gold, silver, and purple bottle. Superglue in what ever flavor I grab off the rack. :D
  7. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Tombow Mono Aqua

I'll keep telling you till you all believe me. announce1 Tombow Mono Aqua (I get it at Office Max) - use it and you will never go back to your Elmer's, UHU, etc.! It dries to a matte finish (invisible). Semi-dry glue rubs off the paper like rubber cement. Pieces can be separated, if necessary, before glue cures.

Attached Files:

8. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Is this mono aqua a water based product? I'm looking for something a little different than the ole standard....Elmers. Something that wont saturate the paper so readily as elmers does?
  9. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I don't think so, but it does clean off with a moistened cotton swap (q-tip). Maybe someone else will know the composition. I doesn't saturate the paper. It seems to stay on the surface.

NULLMOON Member

pva for smaller areas as its moisture will warp large areas:thumb:
    uhu for large areas and frames to messy for details:thumb:
    bostick evo-stick for transparencies and canopys :thumb:
    superglue for metal parts eg:wire:thumb:
  11. the4ce

the4ce Member

Well yes I don't recomend to use Uhu for details but I can't find a great glue at my local shop so I have to use Uhu for details(its good if the detail has 1 metersign1)

NULLMOON Member

pva is your all purpose glue it can be purchased by the gallon(im not joking) at diy stores its very avalible almost every diy/craft/arts store will stock it

the only other problem with solvent glues is that after half an hours use the room begins to lose focus:razz:
  13. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Just to add, another vote for 3m type 77 spray glue for laminating things.
  14. gwssms

gwssms Member

I second this! I have all kinds of glue but this one is the workhorse I always fall back on. It is extremely impressive for what we do! I get mine at Office Max too.

Oh - and it doesn't saturate the paper at all.
  15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

PVA is my choice for everything, clear and odourless. --My family can't stand the smell of UHU...
  16. the4ce

the4ce Member

Well the smell doesen't disturb me or my family
    Everyone with is own smell :)
  17. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

For laminating, I use "YES!" , an archival-quality, acid-free bookbinder's adhesive. Similar to liquid honey in consistency, it can be applied to large areas with a brush and spread with a palette knife or "squeedgie card". It dries perfectly flat.

General assembly: Vote me with Aleene's or Wiccoll.

For dissimilar materials: Cyanoacrylate ("Krazy") glue: I prefer the "Hot Stuff" gel formula.

18. doctormax

doctormax Member

I use a glue stick I bought at lidl and a pva glue. Current jobs free model of admiral graf spree and designing B52
  19. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

What name brand of PVA glue do you folks use?