What I've learned from good ol' Robin.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I took a set of prints from Model Railroader on scratch building a crew shed and made it my own using some ideas I had to model a half fiction and half prototype building. It could have came out better but I did it despite having the right tools like a steel strait edge and a scale ruler. I didn't have a cereal box so I used the next best thing. An airplane box from HarborFreight that we bought last week for a little outside fun. It was the same as a cereal box. It's out of scale slightly but not enough that I can notice without a good close look. I tried and will continue until I master it. This is what I came out with. I apologize for the poor photo quality. The good camera doesn't work good in the house on close up detail shots which made them come out white because of the flash. The flash is automatic and only turns itself off when the lighting is right. Next time I'll take them outside.

PIC. 1: Back side of crew shed with safety hand rails for the 10 drop to the drive way coming in up to the parking lot. Made using CVT fence that was "kit bashed" to fit. Windows have cellophane windows made from Marlboro cigarette box's.

PIC. 2: Angled shot of the back.

PIC. 3: Right side shot with a spare switch machine, locomotive axle motor and a new blue flag sign on the front porch to replace and old one in the yard that got tore up.

PIC. 4 Same shot. This one you can see the sign better plus the old switch ties that was used as a ballast retaining wall.

PIC. 5: Right side angle shot of the front. Plans didn't call for an over hang of any kind but I figured, why not?! Crew has to stay dry some times and can't have water getting that computer equipment by the door on the inside wet from blowing wind.

Attachments

• 27b.jpg
    27b.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 19
  • 28b.jpg
    28b.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 29b.jpg
    29b.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 30b.jpg
    30b.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 33b.jpg
    33b.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 18

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
PIC. 1: Front side of building shot from across the track. It's hard to see but the front door is on the right and the office window on the left. Door has a window also like the plans called for.

PIC. 2: Is the left end of the building where E.O.T batteries and other supplies are. There is a door there. There is also a parking guard rail made of I beam. Just hard to see. Also we have a 14 point buck that decided to railfan a bit (on left side of picture) so he came down to the parking lot to see a brand new GE Dash 8-40B. Worker giving instructions has no idea the deer is there!

PIC. 3: Worker walked around back of building. Why is he holding his arms up?!

PIC. 4: Same as 3 but closer.

PIC. 5: Close up of right side. You can see the door I cut out and realized it didn't go on that end so I glued it back and filled in the grove with Elmer's glue. I wonder if you can see the brass rod I used for the porch supports?

Attachments

• 34b.jpg
    34b.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 35b.jpg
    35b.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 36b.jpg
    36b.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 37b.jpg
    37b.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 38b.jpg
    38b.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 19

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I'm glad Robin shared with us this great idea of using cereal box cardboard to make buildings. This was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to building more. I wasn't able to finish it because I'm lacking materials for detail parts and paint. I just need to eat more cereal! The rest of the stuff I scratch built the last couple of days will be posted in the scratchin' and bashin' forum. I just thought it would be appropriate to share this here.

screen

Aug 18, 2005
Sterling, Illinois
Thanks for sharing - Robin would be proud - As I see it Robin wanted everyone to be creative and we all have to start someplace - when he started, as per his own admition, he was not happy with some of his work but I believe he felt if you keep at it you learn and soon your work will be of craftsman quality - His example lives on through you and all others who just try!

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Kcs, I think it looks nice but your qaulity of your pics leaves something to be desired, I think maybe a tripod for a steadier base might serve you well. Hope to see some clearer pics, Pat.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Sorry Pat. I had to use the web cam to take the pictures because I still don't understand the other camera yet. Both cameras are small and won't fit on anything other than a clear plastic box I had to use to get it up off the table to get it to ground level. The other camera is the same size as a pack of cigarettes but just a bit thinner. It takes great pictures but when I get close up shots in the house, the flash reflects and makes everything unviewable. I tried covering the flash with my finger which only made it come out dark red. Next time I'll try dragging everything outside and trying it that way to see if I can get any better results.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
KCS said:
Sorry Pat. I had to use the web cam to take the pictures because I still don't understand the other camera yet. Both cameras are small and won't fit on anything other than a clear plastic box I had to use to get it up off the table to get it to ground level. The other camera is the same size as a pack of cigarettes but just a bit thinner. It takes great pictures but when I get close up shots in the house, the flash reflects and makes everything unviewable. I tried covering the flash with my finger which only made it come out dark red. Next time I'll try dragging everything outside and trying it that way to see if I can get any better results.

Try putting a "frosted glass" disperser in front of the flash. I think a soft drink lid like you find at a fast food stand would do the job. It softens the light from the flash so you don't get the reflection.

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Russ Bellinis said:
Try putting a "frosted glass" disperser in front of the flash. I think a soft drink lid like you find at a fast food stand would do the job. It softens the light from the flash so you don't get the reflection.

Another that works well is a bit of the white plastic banding tape that they use round white goods (fridges/washing machines. It usually has a diamond pattern on it - just stick it over the flash with a bit of clear sticky tape
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands