What I've been up to

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hi my friends! I'm back, after finishing the last course of the year. Have some time off before money runs out and then it's back to freelancing, but in the meantime I'm making the most of it. A couple projects on the go while I fiddle with the layout of the track. (yep I'm still dithering on that one).

This is the loading area of American Hardware Supply - to become a printing plant.

Attachments

• dock.jpg
    dock.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 226

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Here's the overhead travelling crane that will unload all the steel that Massey Ferguson is importing from Kingsport Steel.

Now that the tractor business is booming the factory has added a third shift!

Attachments

• crane.jpg
    crane.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 222

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Finally, this was a very fun project. The truck started life as a WWII-era US Army canvas-topped truck, which I painted blue and weathered. The truck is beautifully made and the cab and window glass are made to be pried out - so that's what I did. I had to cut away the driver's window, cuz it's summer and it's hot and dusty in the scrap yard this time of year.
The figure is Preiser, and although you can't see his face in this shot, take it from me he's a pretty surly customer!

That's it for now!
cheers
Val

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 218

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by interurben

I got ta have a truck like that with the surly Handsome girly driver ooopppsssss.:D

Girly driver??!!??? Woah Chris - you're lucky that guy is so small, cuz I don't think he'd take too kindly to those words!

Thanks to all for your kind words of encouragement and inspiration! I have really missed you guys and it sure is great to be back in the swing of things.

As far as a weathering how to/how not to, although I don't really have a set method I'd be happy to explain some of the things I've tried that worked out well. Do I just post it directly to the academy or does a moderator have to move it there? Anyone know?

cheers
Val

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Fantastic!!! Even though I saw a preview on the chat the other night I'm still pleased to get another look at that excellent loading dock with the interior detail. Too cool!

As for that overhead travelling crane, I've decided I need to get one of those! Afer all, how will the steel coils from Kings Port Steel get into the gondolas being shipped your way!?! Nicely done Val!

Here's a pic of the first shipment of steel starting its journey to Toronto, courtesy of the li' critter that works Kings Port Steel. :)

Attachments

• steelmf.jpg
    steelmf.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 105

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by spitfire
As far as a weathering how to/how not to, although I don't really have a set method I'd be happy to explain some of the things I've tried that worked out well. Do I just post it directly to the academy or does a moderator have to move it there? Anyone know?

cheers
Val

Hi Val,

Dave Hagan has kindly set up a sticky thread here for nominations to The Academy.

I would think your best bet would be to create a new thread in Photography, Scenery, Books, Video on its own, and then we can nominate it in the sticky. Setting it up on its own would probably be better, since Dave will not have to "clean" it before moving. (You cannot post directly to The Academy - it must be moved by an administrator/moderator.)

Looking forward to your tutorial...!

Andrew