What is your layout sq ft and loco rolling stock ?

fifer

This has posted on another topic but got me thinking (thought I smelled something).
Can you all post your layout square footage and how many locos and then rolling stock per square foot you have?
I am betting we all have more trains than layout (DUH!).
Number of locos or cars divided by square feet.
Layout 160 SQFT
locos 20
rolling stock 105

LOCOS = .125 per sq ft
Cars = .656 per sq ft

My point is I try to keep what I need to be able to run on the layout and not have to many to store or collect dust.
JUST FOR FUN , What are your stats?

Mike

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Layout F Scale 1:20.3
12 X 8 = 96 Sq. Ft. ----- 22 Sq. ft of walkway = 74 Sq. Ft.

Locos = 4 1 loco for 18.5 Sq. Ft.
Rolling stock = 12 1 car for 6.2 Sq. Ft.

FiatFan

HO scale 8X12 around the walls. Table is 30" deep.
4 engines
20 cars.
I'll leave the math as an exercise for the student.

Tom

shaygetz

Module size - 6'x2'6" >> 15 sq. ft. total:thumb:

Locomotives - 35 >> 2.33 per sq. ft.:thumb:

cars - 105 >> 7 per sq. ft.:thumb:

Thanks, Mike, you've pointed out that I've become that which I greatly feared---a collector:cry:

I will now go to my room and sob like a little girl.:rolleyes:

2-8-2

Layout size = 18 sq ft

Current Roster
- Engines: 1 (0.05 per sq ft)
- Rolling Stock: 11 (0.61 per sq ft)

Proposed Roster
- Engines: 4 (0.22 per sq ft)
- Rolling Stock: 30 (1.76 per sq ft)

My layout is still in the construction phases, so the proposed roster is taken from my checklist of things I have yet to buy. I can't see myself using more than 4 engines on a 3x6 layout, but then again...shaygetz might prove me wrong.

:)

ezdays

Out AZ way
N scale:

35 sq ft of actual layout

32 engines
37 passenger cars
206 freight and other cars

That comes to about one engine per square foot, and seven cars per square foot. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bottom line: far, far more than I'll ever be able to get on the layout, nevermind running them. There's just not enough track, but, I can build a pretty good display case if need be.:D :D

Gil Finn

My shelf layout will have about 90 SF and have 2 O lines and an Ho line. MOstlt Coal hoppers and lof cars , a shays, a Berkshire, two diesle switchers and in HO a GP9 and other Shay, a Niagra, a C&O passenger set amd some other stuff. An F 7 and dummy.

I will scratch build a working mine and a static saw mill and company town.

Joepomp

201 Sq ft. This was a good idea, I never measured before. Now I know what happend to all the room I had in the basement!
5 Locos
31 cars

Locos =0.042 per sq ft
Cars = 0.154 per sq ft

Space of actual worked on railroad, an 8" by 18" diorama.

Locos 12-15ish
Cars 125+

Next step? Reducing fleet size and focusing on reality.

After that? Starting to model one town in the "domino" style for portability.

In the future? Hopefully the sooner than the latter future,

Planned layout size 600-800 square ft in basement or granny flat,
Planned roster 20-25
Cars 150 freight and 10-15 passenger cars
Constructed of domino style sections, focusing on 6-8 main towns, several passing sidings, and scenes from my favorite redwood railroads. Plan on having double to triple deck construction in a fashion that the layout itself is a helix.

Clerk

24.5 sq ft
11 Engines
38 cars. not including 5 cars on repair track

9 Passenger cars

"N" Scale

Will_annand

Let's see.... N Scale. M Shaped, 51 sq. ft.

A total of 6 locomotive, the four 4-4-0s fit the layout and there are two diesels I was given.
As to rolling stock....

Caboose - 2
Passenger - 7
Freight - 18

also one unbuilt Roundhouse 36' Reefer kit.

L

lester perry

400 + - Square feet
50 + - Locomotives little more than 1 per 10 square feet
300+ cars = little less than 1 per square foot
Need more square feet, more locos and more cars
Les

ausien

Feather River Railroad.. 12x12= 144sq ft there abouts.....42+ deisels, 6 steam loco`s... Rolling stock, 1x 12 car pasenger, (main line) 1x3car push pull, branch passenger, 150- 170 assorted frieght cars....
i`ll let the more brainy ones work the maths for locos and rolling stock per sq ft....

jetrock

Linear shelf layout, 15'8"x1' plus 4 sf peninsula, so just shy of 20 sf in its current state.

Locomotives: 5 in regular service. Several on RIP track off-layout. Ratio: .2 locos/sf

Rolling stock: 24 cars currently on the layout. Several more on order from car manufacturer (on unbuilt kits shelf.) Ratio: 0.84 cars/sf.

Somehow it seems that the ratio of track to area should be worked in there somehow: all 24 cars fit in my yard with room to spare, and all five locomotives fit fine in my loco service yard with room for a couple of stripped Birney bodies. Industrial siding capacity is 11 cars.

I've got 64.5 sf in HO scale with about 8,000 scale feet of track.

Inventory is currently three steam locos, two gandy dancers, eight pieces of operational rolling stock and two boxcar kits to be assembled.
Doc

stagingyards

you really want me to think it hurts my head to much layout 29'x11'x16' double layersingle run but can ahndle 4 engines 9 passenger cars 45 freight

davidstrains

Layout - N-scale in 17 1/2' x 14' room - around tha walls with a peninsula inside.

~120 Sq. Ft.

Locos - 21 = 1 per 5.7 Sq. Ft.

Rolling Stock

Cabooses = 8
Freight Cars= 87
Pax Cars = 18

Total Rolling stock = 113 = 1 per 1.06 Sq. Ft.

Mike,

You started a great thread. There is a formula out there. I found it on the Internet and it's worth checking out. It takes into consideration all types of track lengths including mainline, passing sidings, spurs and staging. After running your layout stats through this rather complicated formula, you get a pretty good idea of how many trains you can run, and their average length. If someone finds it, let us know.

Meanwhile, I wish all the posters here had specified gauge, some of these look like N gauge to me. Anyway, I'm HO

Square feet = 104

Locos = 4 (.038 per sq. foot)

Rolling stock = 32 (.308 per sq. foot)

Getting back to that rather cool formula somebody came up with; I've got a small staging area (yard) 2 passing siding and 11 spurs... I forgot how many linear feet it was, added in the mainline in linear feet and this magic formula said my layout could run 6 trains with an average car length of 11 per train. That seemed just about right. I'll try to find the website.