What is your favorite RailRoads?

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
Favorite Railroads

At the top of my list is the New York, New Haven and Hartford. Next in line is the New York Central, followed by the Pennsylvania. I suppose this is because these are the roads I grew up with; but I have yet to find any railroad that I didn't like.

geep15

Dec 21, 2003
Texas
Visit site
At the top of the list would be the Frisco. In no particular order, the rest are:
  • Katy
  • Missouri Pacific
  • Kansas City Southern
  • Rock Island
  • Union Pacific, pre-Borg
  • whatever shortline is in front of my camera lens :D

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Jim,
You can have more than one favorite railroad. I posted it right this time and put What Is Your Favorite RailRoads, LOL. Do you have anymore photo's. Just Asking. I have some photo's from the western maryland and chessie system that my dad took back in the 70's. I have them on my independent live steamers website under the prototype section.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Penn Central of course! But I do pay homage to its founding roads, the NYC and Pennsy. My few years in Iowa also helped create a fondness for the Rock Island Line and the Chicago Northwestern.
Ralph

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Sorry, no I don't. When I was a college student at Central U of Iowa in Pella (1977-81), the Rock ran a branch line right through campus. I'd see an old maroon unit roll through with some grain cars or open hoppers. Wish I'd thought to take pics!
Ralph

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
My favorite railroad is the Western Pacific. The Alaska RR, SP&S, Milwaukee and GN would follow as runners up. Southern Pacific and Santa Fe don't really come to mind when I think of neat railroads.

Greg

Attachments

• wp 2001.jpg
    wp 2001.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 294

CN1

May 6, 2003
I found various Rock Island pics. :wave:
tr_ri908286.jpg

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi all:
My faves all have ties to family, except for the B&O. Grew up watching those. Like the C&IM, C&EI and N&W. As you can tell, coal figures prominently in my modeling future. But all also ran passenger and freight at their peaks.

The Chicago & Illinois Midland is a nice system to model. Many coal loading points, major yard in Springfield along with a large Pillsbury plant, barge loading facility in Havana, and interchange points for several mid and northwestern RRs. One of the last RR to retire their steam (12/55). Ordered the last 4-4-0 engines built for a class one RR in the country (6/27, scrapped 8/53).

Regards,
Ted

even though i am now modeling the SP, my favorite is still the Union pacific.

why? you may ask....

well, the UP is never afraid to try something new. just look at the double diesels, the turbines, and the massive steam locos. then, there is their active steam program. plus, i dont think anyone can point out another class 1 that willingly gives away locomotives and rolling stock to museums, or one that preserves it's history like the UP.

then there is their beautiful set of preserved passenger cars. ones not reserved for executives like all the other railroads, but ones that you and me can ride in.

of course, there has to be a second place, and it is the Southern pacific. they conquered the west and went afraid to try new things while doing it.

third would be the Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad. my dad worked for them as a kid and thats what got me interested in them. once i did a little research i found it to be a pretty interesting railroad. so now i spend all my time whining to manufacturers to get them to make more C&EI locomotives and rolling stock.

I haven't travelled enough to probably appreciate them all, but:

Pennsy: GG1's!
East Broad Top
Ma & Pa (very close to me)
Western Maryland (my new love...how did I miss this one all these years?)

The Reading was my local road while growing up, so I have some affinity for it.
Can't say I'm fond of the Penn Central. They will always be forever linked in my mind with the demise of the good times. Painting the engines black was, uhm, appropriate. :cry: