What Is Your Favorite Diesel Locomotive

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Ok Ok I know i created this thread about Diesels but we have a FP7 in the Independent Live Steamers Club and i wanted to show you all what it would look like in 1.6" Scale Size. You can really see the detail on this locomotive. I took the photo from Railfest 2003. Hope you all like it. Greg Elems, those are some beautiful Diesel Locomotives!!!!

geep15

Dec 21, 2003
Texas
Visit site
My favorites:

The GP38/GP38AC/GP38-2. All-around use, from locals to hotshots to coal drags. The ideal medium-horsepower locomotive.

SD40-2. It may have looked like a little kid wearing oversized tennis shoes, but it was popular. Hotshots to coal drags, and the backbone of more than a few railroads' motive power fleets (see: KCS, UP, BN)

I like most of the others, but these two stand out for me.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Brakie mentioned the switchers and it occurred to me that I had this pic lying around. Caught this one in the '80s on the head end of a short local run north of Minneapolis. The crew had stopped for donuts at the "Mr. Donut" store I was at. Since I'd seen them do this before I kept a camera in the car just in case...
Ralph

Attachments

• switcher.jpg
    switcher.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 172

CN1

May 6, 2003
It's pretty easy to find. I do a search for DIESEL LOCOMOTIVE on Google/Images/Web. If you know the make, it is easier. Like ALCO for example.

geep15

Dec 21, 2003
Texas
Visit site
aan.sized.jpg

Here's a pic of another favorite loco of mine- the Alco RS1. This baby was the plant switcher at the Nekoosa paper mill in Ashdown, AR.