What Is Your Favorite Diesel Locomotive

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Chessie6459, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

What Is Your Favorite Diesel Locomotives

Ok everyone i am starting this one about diesel locomotives.
  2. Chessie6459

3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I don't have a picture, but my favorites are the gp40x and the Santa Fe "spot motors" E1a's
  4. Chessie6459

5. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Favorite Diesel

Without a doubt, the Alco RS-1, 2 and 3, preferably painted for the New Haven RR.
  6. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

You mean that I can only have ONE :eek:
    If so then I guess it will have to be this beauty.

The great EMD GP30

Attached Files:

7. Chessie6459

No No You can have as many as you want. I sure do. As you see i have a couple posted up on here. That is a nice looking locomotive. Post some more.
  8. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Great pics! Who doesn't like Sharks and that Centepeide is amazing! Paint a PC "mating worms" logo on that SD45 and that'd be my choice for a winner. :) Actually I LOVE F units....hope to see some posted here soon!
  9. Chessie6459

Here ya go Ralph

SD45 Penn Central

10. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

YES!!!!! Way to go LS!!!! :D
  11. babydot94513

babydot94513 Member in training

GP15-1 - baby tunnel motors ex- CNW now CFNR
    GP38-2 in SP
    GP40-2 in SP
  12. Chessie6459

Ralph you are welcome!!!!!
  13. Chessie6459

Here are some more PC Pics. These were taken by my late father.

14. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

More than one:confused: Maybe the thread should have been titled "What are your favorite diesel locomotives":) :) :)

Well then here is another, the SD45 and this one is still in GOD's RR paint.

Attached Files:

15. Hoghead

Hoghead Member

From a different perspective.......I like EMD's as opposed to GE's.

When I work the yard I prefer a nice six axle SD50 or SD40-2 especially on drag jobs. GE's are terrible in this respect because they are slow to load and slow to stop.

On the road I will take an SD60, SD70AC and on a few occasions I have had an SD80......The 70's and 80's though are pretty much like GE's in the slow response time.

Now when it's hot and humid though I don't care if it's a GE orEMD as long as the A/c works:D
  16. Flangehead

Flangehead Member

Baldwin Centipedes, Sharks, EMD SD45s, Alco RS-whatevers, almost all FM engines. Also, I find the little side rodded industrial locos interesting. Oh, I almost forgot,the EMD E7. Something about those square side windows.
  17. brakie

brakie Active Member

My favorite locomotives is those old work horses the GP7/9s.I also like the SD7/9,GP38 GP38-2 and the GP35 and the Alco RS1/2/3s and the RSD4/5 RS11, RSD12 and RSD15.My favorite yard switcher is the SW1200 and 1500...I also like the Alco S1 and S2s. Come to think of it I like most locomotives except the look alike modern GEs and EMDs.
  18. Chessie6459

Yes you can say that you like most of the Diesels out there.
  19. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

The F-7 or FP-7 is my all time favorite. And this baby shows why. :D :D

Attached Files:

20. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Sure wish this was my daily horse at work. They sure don't make them like they used to. Although a straight SD60 is fine and an early 4000 series SD70M is nice. The GE C44ACCTE's have come a long way. WP 707 at the Portola Railroad Museum sure is fun to rearrange the museum equipment with.

Attached Files: