• Passenger

Votes: 16 20.0%

• Total voters

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
As an LIRR commuter, I have to say my favorite would be their Bombardier M7 EMUs.

As a "Prehistoric" LIRR commuter....well I used the LIRR to get into Manhattan, from Copiague, to check out Polks Hobby Shop, in the late fifties....my favorite would have to be the MP-54's powered, or trailer.
My second, and the one I voted for, Tank cars. They are one of the only cars where the complete underbody detail can be seen, making the addition of that detail really worth while.

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Stacks and Pigs!

For me it'll have to be intermodal cars. I like double stacks and piggy backs. Plus I also like autoracks but since that isn't an option I'll just choose hoppers.

I'd have to say the intermodal cars, but as those aren't listed as a choice I'm going to have to go with tankers.

:thumb: Inter-modal all the way!!! :thumb:

:thumb: Great big 5-unit spine cars! :thumb:

I guess you could say that they are modern flatcars.

CN_Fan

Aug 19, 2007
My favorite car is one that carries high wide loads - large flats and schnabel cars. Here are a couple of ones that I am working on.

gex800003.jpg

GEX 800003 - 20 axle depressed center flat

wecx200-trans.jpg

WECX 200 -12 axle schnabel car with transformer load

wecx301-reactor.jpg

WECX 301 - 22 axle schanbel car with nuclear reactor load

Still need get better at using my air brush before I tackle these.

I have 9 schnabel cars and 4 depressed flats over 100 scale feet long in my high wide fleet.

More one these large cars on my website - Tom's Trains Pages

Tom

WOW jawdrop

You should see about making kits of these, they are beautiful.

Do you have patterns of them??

EvoMan454

Feb 11, 2008
Seriously the person who mad this poll left out alot of basic cars such as intermodal, autoracks, gondolas, etc. Bill what radius curves do you need to get those to work?

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
My favorite and way.

I picked Box car, but it wasn't realy a complete answere. I would pick 40' boxs because pulling a long string for 40'ers alone with no other type of car is enough for me to call a train. If I run hoppers only, even tho a dicated coal train is a common thing, something is missing. The same goes for flats, gongolas,reefers,and tanks. With boxs especialy 40'ers, not even mixed with larger types, it seams all is well. It is a complete train.
frank

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Thomas Modeler
Sep 30, 2008
I'm going with passenger cars(or, as they are known to Brits and Thomas fans, coaches). I'm thrilled every time I see realistically long passenger trains.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
I'm surprised that caboose is so far behind.

I think inter modal car votes ought to count as flat cars, for that is their lineage. Gondola's were also of the same lineage (platform cars).

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
I had to vote for passenger cars, because each road, or name train had cars with such character. They were the physical ambassadors of their time.