What is this ???

CN_Pete

Feb 4, 2004
Markham Ontario
Visit site
I picked up this little kit for $1.00. I have taken it all apart and am repainting everything.
It is looking real good, but what is it. The stamping on the bottom is REVELL 1960.

I uploaded 2 pictures of how i found it, I will repost when complete

Peter

Attachments

• Rev 01.JPG
    Rev 01.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Rev 02.JPG
    Rev 02.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 33

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
:D That is a sand house and sand storage bin produce by Revell in 1960.. The sand house was used to dry sand for use in locomotives..I have always liked that kit..The mates to that building is a yard office caboose and a crew shed made from a old boxcar..Very nice items in 1960 and ones that can still be used today. :thumb: :D

OH! Revell also made a 2 stall engine house to go with the above items.
At one time Concor or Helgan produce those buildings as well.. :D

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
brakie said:
:D
OH! Revell also made a 2 stall engine house to go with the above items.
At one time Concor or Helgan produce those buildings as well.. :D

Is that the same one that was also a bakery? If so, why did they stop making them? Those have to have been the most kitbashed kits around.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
zedob said:
Is that the same one that was also a bakery? If so, why did they stop making them? Those have to have been the most kitbashed kits around.

Yes,that is the one..It also became a printing company as well. :D
I am not sure if they are no longer made? :confused: Last I saw of these Revell buildings Concor was producing the whole line..

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
If you think about it, that kit was the predecessor to DPM's modular building system. You can cover alot of area with one building if you are building flats.

I actually think the brickwork is better. It's more typical of the factories around here. I used to think that those gouged out bricks were un-prototypical, but as can be seem from the photo, they are quite proto.

It would be nice to see someone produce them again.

Attachments

• gouged_brick.jpg
    gouged_brick.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 27

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Zedob,Revell also made a farm house,barn,Interlocking Tower,a elevated switchman's shanty and a crossing guard shanty.These are not bad looking buildings.

COX 47

Dec 28, 2004
they also made a real nice freight house. If I rember right all the kit were designed by a man named Al Armadige and that is most likely the right spelling. Those kits broke new ground when they came out and helped make way for all the plastic kits we have today. Cox 47

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
shaygetz said:
Ya gotta find the elevated oil tank to go with it...oh, and the speeder shed, too:thumb: My first kit I ever put together, too cool.

Yeah,I forgot about those..Let's not forget the freight station and small town station.. :D I really do like those buildings..They may be from the old days but,by golly they're still nice. :D

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
CN_Pete said:
That was another kit i also got, it is an elevated tank. The tank sits horizontally.

peter

Peter,I forgot to mention that I look for those buildings at the Train Shows I attend.When I didn't need 'em I could find them at each show now its another story.