What is this train hauling?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by kf4jqd, Dec 6, 2005.

1. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

2. GeorgeHO

GeorgeHO Member

What great photo shots. The articulation is wonderful, but I'm sure that a number of modelers today would say that the "s" curves and too much overhang are not prototypical.
  3. screen

screen Member

It's a compressor tank - used in storage and production of gasses for various industries - several like that at the old Northwestern Steel now Sterling Steel -
  4. zedob

zedob Member

My guess is it's a distilling tower for a refinery, but in all honesty, the load is rather boring. Now, that heavy duty flat it's on, now that's something amazing.

It's not from the era I model, but it would be a neat car to build. Nice conversation piece for a layout.
  5. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Something long and tubular....
    The owner of the LHS I frequent actually scratchbuilt an HO Schnabel car that looked just like that one.
  6. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

In them pix it looks colder than a welldigger's butt. :D :D

That's a heck of a load, too! :thumb: Nice photos, Andy
  7. ausien

ausien Active Member

my guess would be afuel tank for the shuttle, but that a long shot.:D :D ....great pix,:thumb: and good railfanning, got any more??;) ;) ...have a good one..steve:wave: :wave:
  8. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Well, if it's going to Alberta, must be something to do with the oil industry. How about a cracking tower for a refinery?

9. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

...one of those big, long, tubular, round things. :p

10. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Obviously, the load is a big, long, tubular "thing." As others have noted, it's not the load but the car that is pretty spectacular. Great pix. I take it this must have been some sort of press release, or something.
  11. screen

screen Member

Shuttle tanks are made in New Orlians(sp) so they can be bargged to Florida - Look at the name on the tank and google it - the same name is on tanks here in Sterling and are used for making and storing compressed gas for a steel mill - like a huge air compresor -
  12. santafewillie

santafewillie Member

13. screen

screen Member

Real neat Willie - Thanks for clearing that up - what a project -what a car to model!
  14. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

it looks to me liek an Oil Refinery Cracking tower. this is where they boild and sperate oil into its different kinds ( kerosen, diesle fuel, that stuff)
  15. Oroka

Oroka Member

An oil refinery cracking tower was my first guess, it looked familure from a documentary I had seen about super heavy weight cranes, in this case, a massive containerized crane that was shipped in on something like 25 rail cars, and it was used to life a simular tower at a refinery in Nova Scotia, or NewBrunsiwck...
  16. Zman

Zman Member

I think it's a warp nacelle.

By the way, that's some excellent weathering on those cars, and very realistic looking people.