What is the simplest to learn drafting or drawing program

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by garyj36, Nov 26, 2004.

1. garyj36

garyj36 Member

Dosnt have to be free. Just possible to learn without a background in cad. Gary
  2. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

I picked up Corel Draw quickly. It seems quite intuative, and you should get the hang of it without much trouble.
  3. The only real way to learn a CAD program of any sort is to practice with it. Start simple with lines, arcs, circles and the editing of these elements. Almost everything else is built out of those procedures until you get to 3d surfaces or solids. Although surfaces and solids can be derived from 2d and 3d lines. Another thing is screen resolution. You have to set the screen resolution high enoughto allow the setting up of the extra tool menus as you get used to them other wise you will lose too much screen space to the menus. As to books I really can't offer any opinions except that the Dummies books aren't worth spit IMO. If your local cummunity college or adult ed classes offer something that might not be a bad idea. Where I'm still having problems is transfering the data from 3d to 2d for coloring and printing. One reason I'm not making any headway on the Metcalf
  4. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

Not an expert, but I am a draftsman

Not an expert, but I am a Draftsman, and admitted software junkie.
    I think that if you are more numerically and accuracy inclined,
    a CAD program is useful, but typically, the more "cost effective" or free CAD applications are kind of limited on the "painting" type performance.
    CAD apps typically have a large learning curve for the non-drafting type users.CAD is great for precision, but they are centered more on numeric and dimensional accuracy, as opposed to ease of use.

I have not used Corel draw, but I have found regular graphic applications
    seem easier, or at least better suited, for visible graphic detail production
    and editing for the non-drafting type users. They seem a little easier to learn to me.(Maybe it's just me, but i tend to think I'm pretty average)

As an aside, and to well be considered, you can get a copy of Corel draw
    for a considerably smaller pricetag than AutoCAD. To the best of my
    knowledge, the AutoCAD "Light" application is only 2D. Am I right on that guys?
    (I don't use AutoCAD, I use an app called Vectorworks, originally MiniCAD, which originated on the MAC platform,
    but I use the PC version)
  5. Jimi

Jimi Member

Last time i used corel was 8 years ago back in 2nd year high school! hahaha! but yeah. in general, design programs are harder to learn compared to drawing programs. One thing for sure is, using a design program for adding paint schemes and stuff is difficult and vice versa.. more of proper use of either one? hehehe. But if you want a challenge, nothing beats manual draughting (just imagine draughting something for 12 hours only to find that the part that you made was wrong from the start!) tragic..
  6. Darwin

Darwin Member

Gary, try out ImageForge by Cursor Arts. It has it's problems (biggest is that it is an absolute memory hog, and has lots of difficulty with image resolutions over 150 dpi, and is strictly a bitmap application), but is by far the easiest to use drawing program I have (and that includes Paint Shop Pro, Corel Draw, and Photoshop). You might also want to check out Draw Plus by Serif....I think Serif still has a fully functional older version available as a freebie.
  7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I just picked up a full copy of CorelDraw 11 on eBay for £16!

I do nearly all my 'graphics' work with this program, and several other forum members use it too, so if you have any questions just ask and someone will pitch in with some advice! The advice that hatever you use, you HAVE to put in the time and effort to learn how to use it. There are several freebie programs around, PC magazines often have last years version of software as protional gifts on cover CDs, so look out for Canvas, which is excellent, for example.

I'll dig out some links.

Apologies too for not having been around recently, work has been stratospheric!

Tim P