What is the high hood for?

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by elwood, Jul 11, 2005.

1. elwood

elwood New Member

It's been a while since I have sen a high nose geep in person, but I have a couple on my layout. I've always wondered why some of the geeps were made with the high hood?
  2. interurban

interurban Active Member

There is a toilet in that there hood :)
  3. railohio

railohio Active Member

Depends on the railroad and era. Some used it for radio equipment, a steam generator, or dynamic braking. Norfolk & Western, Southern, and Norfolk Southern purchased high-nose units later than other because they believed they were safer for crews in a collision.
  4. siderod

siderod Member

There is a toilet in the low hood of the new WHRC GP9's as well....they're Ex CN GP9RM/u chopnose units.

As Brian said, it depends alot on the RR and Era, but it was anything from crash protection to dynamic brakes, steam gen to air tanks.

5. KCS

KCS Member

As far as I know 90% or better of KCS's fleet have bathrooms in the hood except the switchers.
  6. KCS

KCS Member

Siderod, you ever get a start on the 1/8 scale locomotive you was gonna build? Not sure if it was gonna be 71/4" or 71/2".Within the next year or so I am going to start a purchase of 4 Dash-9's from Mountain Car Company but they are going to cost more because of the custom add on's/options raising each one from $10,000 to about $12,000 each. Hopefully I can start a club down here in the south so those locomotives can pay for them selfs.
  7. Hoghead

Hoghead Member

There are still a few highnose GP38 engines in service. The ones I have seen are still owned by the NS but have been put into remote control yard service.
  8. Hoghead

Hoghead Member

Also as far as the NS goes, those GP38 locos have the control stands set up for running longhood forward.