What is the difference between MRC powerpacks?

Dom

Feb 12, 2008
I'm looking to upgrade an old MRC 501N I picked up a flea market some months back.
I've seen a few MRC Tech II model on ebay. I'm interested in either the TechII 2400 or TechII 2500. Can anyone tell me the difference, other then the momentum and brake switch on the 2500 or can someone make a recommendation between the two.

scubadude

Sep 5, 2006
Richardson, Texas
Welcome, Dom we are always 'N'-need of aNother N-scaler :wave:....My brain is not wired for electrical stuff, but I can tell you from my humble experiences the momentum and brake functions are really cool and a lot like the real thing...I have the Tech 4 260 and love it :thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Welcome to the Gauge Dom. As another DC N scaler, I've got three MRC Tech4's. Two 350"s that I bought about six years ago for running two cabs and the other older 250 I got with a bunch of N scale stuff at a thrift store. I would look for a Tech4 if you're going to buy anything. I'm not sure about the Tech II, but I know that the Tech4 is basically pulse-width modulation. That is, rather than putting out pure DC, it puts out a series of pulses. The closer the pulses, the higher the effective DC. To do momentum and braking, they slowly go from long durations between pulses and speed them up until they reach whatever you have the controls set for. It does the reverse for braking.

I don't think they make the 350's anymore, but the only difference between them all is the maximum power output. I'm recommending you go with the Tech4 if you can find one.

Oh yeah, I also got an MRC 700 dual cab control with that stuff at the thrift store. It is old and strictly analog. I have it wired up for lighting control. There were also a couple of Bachmann and Atlas controls in there as well. They seem to make good paperweights.:rolleyes: