What is the Best way to paint or weather Atlas code 83 track?

Hello,

What is the best way to weather or paint Atlas code 83 track? Use a spray gun or just use brown tie paint and paint the side rails?

Thanks,
Greg

Gary Pfeil

There was a thread on this topic not long ago. Bottom line is the best way is what you feel comfortable with. There are many ways to go about it. For flex track (as oppossed to handlaid) I paint the ties with a brush, not being to fussy about neatness. An airbrush could certainly be used if you prefer. Some use spray cans. Also, some paint each length prior to laying. Once I've painted the ties I ballast. Then I paint the rail sides with a small brush. I use roof brown, adding rust tones and blacks at random. I let some of the rust colors get on the ballast at the base of the rail. Then add streaks of oil and grease. etc., down the middle of the track and add spills where appropriate. Have fun!

shaygetz

Spray cans (red/brown primer, dark grey) first then weather the ties with alternating grey/dark grey/black washes of thinned acrylics on the ties when the spray paint drys. We have over 1000 feet of track on our club layout and this technique is fast, effective and easy enough for our newcomers to dive into. Finish up by cleaning the rail tops with a Bright Boy track cleaner and cleaning between the switch points with some alcohol and a Q-tip.