What is the Best N Scale Track?

Boilerman

Jun 30, 2006
Blair, Nebraska (Midwest)
I all depends on several things,

First both are good, Kato being a little more costly but has roadbed attached and wiring for turnouts will be simplified with the Kato's plug in system and all equipment will operate on it.
The drawback is that Kato only offers fixed radius curves.

Atlas offers the widest variety between the two and both a code-80 and 55.
Wiring will be more complex and the code 55 does not allow the running of equipment that has large flange wheels, that is you will need equipment that has NMRA code compliant RP-25 wheels and most of the new equipment today does.
The atlas code 80 allows the use of all equipment.

Hope that this helps.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Im going to have to go with Atlas.

I model in both HO and N scales and I use Atlas for both scales. I use C83 in HO and C55 in N scale

Boilerman was right when he said Atlas C55 requires the NMRA code compliant RP-25 wheels. The older equipment have wheels that hit the tops of the rail heads on Atlas C55 track causeing them to derail. But if your buying new equipment (ie. not starting with older equipment that you already have) then you will be fine with using Atlas C55 track. If you do have older equipment, you just have to buy new wheelsets for them and replace them.

Atlas also has there C80 line. C80 can be used with any equipment, new or old because the rails are taller (by 25 thousands of an inch) then the C55 rail. C80 has black ties and C55 has brown ties. I choose to use C55 and C83 because of there brown ties and the fact that it makes it look that much more realistic but that is just my opinion and choice.

Theres my take on the question of what is the best N scale track

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
What is the Best N Scale Track? Kato or Atlas?
Thanks, Greg

Why don't you mention Peco ? Their N scale turnouts are very reliable, I use Peco turnouts on my micro-layout, they are imho most reliable than Atlas turnouts because they have conductive frogs, while Atles code 80 has insulated frogs.
I never used Kato, so I can't comment on that brand.

Jacques

COX 47

Dec 28, 2004
I am using Kato it is easy to use but if I ever try another layout i think I'll try Atlas...I have built 3 or 4 layouts in HO over the years and its good too....Cox 47

billgraf

Jul 6, 2007
You should use code 80 in tunnels for reliability. To make the connection flatten the code 80 rail joiner, then solder the code 55 0n top. File rough edges.