what is "LEGAL" in paper models

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by papertrain, Jan 13, 2007.

1. papertrain

papertrain Member

I have used all sorts of paper, card, illustration board and cereal boxes to build models with. Sometimes I use some milled wood, wire and staples to fashion parts from. I know that making a model is up to ones own discersion but I was just curious as to where a "dyed in the wool" paper modeler would draw the line as LEGAL and what is not allowed. Illustration board is very tuff and could be made with layers of card,,,,,Is there a defining "moment" in the materials used????:grin:
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

A purist would say paper only - this will include thicker card stock or cardboard.

I think most of us use bits of wire for reinforcements when called for in a model. I pretty much only use non paper items when instructions call for it.
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Whatever works in my opinion. I can recall that in my plastic and balsa/tissue modeling days I also used piano wire for somethings.
  5. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

the short answer is, "whatever you can get away with". pretty much anything goes, unless you are entering some sort of contest.
  6. Zathros

Zathros Guest

The essence is scratch built to me (cutting pieces of parts out of a book is scratch built to me) as opposed to a box of plastic parts that you assemble. I made injection molds in my tool and dye days and just do not get the thrill out of plastic models though there are some real beauties out there. My personal opinion is that wire, plastic for windows, and balsa, etc. fits into the scratch build mentality, especially when building something out of the stuff you have laying around. There is a realism to card models that seems hard to receate in other mediums. IMHO.
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Archive Redux..,

This is from an earlier discussion. It helps to explain multimedia by obvious omission of any facts that the model is made of anything but paper. It's a great solution when confronted by enquiring minds..., -Gil

8. Erik J

Erik J Member

"Is it paper?" is one of the deepest philosophical question we cut n' folders are faced with. So, here is my two cents worth:

1. A 'pure' paper model is 100 percent paper- including the canopy, cardboard stiffeners, landing gear, etc.

2. A paper model that substitutes parts that are difficult do with paper and result in a much better looking model. This means using shrink wrap or vacu-formed canopies, music wire in struts, and wood (horrors) for small details & parts like control sticks, probes, wiring, and antennae, etc.

3. A paper model that is over 50 percent paper with the remainder from anything else made of whatever the builder choses to use.

I suppose the above general categories could be further refined and form a basis for future contest rules.
  9. shrike

shrike Guest

Wood is primal paper...paper ore if you will
    Acetate is distilled paper....paper brandy perhaps
    Piano wire is...umm...just one of those things
  10. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

<Piano wire is...umm...just one of those things>

I resemble that remark deeply...
  11. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

As a former plastic model builder with a lot of contest awards, I fell like tossing in the realistic attitude of the IPMS (International Plastic Modeling Society). In IPMS competitions, you can use plastic (opaque or clear), cast resins, metal, wood, wire, string, monofilament, cowhide, chicken feathers ---what ever it takes to make a good looking accurate model.

A lot of detail parts simply can't be made from paper, unless you are building in VERY large scales, so they are just left off. (Try paper rigging on a model of sailing ship.) A total paper purist can't even use glue, because it's made from milk proteins, rather than paper!:grin:

Is the purpose of card modeling to build a paper model, or an attractive and realistic model?

In my poor addled old mind, models, by definition, are three dimensional representations of something real, but at a smaller size. The more detail, the more realistic.