what is it?

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by jim currie, Oct 29, 2003.

1. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

all i know it's UP might be from 40's.
  2. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Holy cow Jim. Where did you come up with that monster. It looks somewhat fimiliar but can't place it.
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I answered this one in the "photography" forum, but I was mistaken. I knew I had a picture of the train somewhere, and I just found it. I think it is the M-10003 locomotive pulling the "City of Denver." The M-10001 was also very similar and pulled the "City of Portland." Both of these streamliners debuted in 1934. It might also be the M-1000 which was similar in design, but ran a "distillate" engine ( I presume they mean gasoline). It was assigned to a short run between Salina and Kansas City. I just found a pic of the "City of Salina" with the M-1000, and this one isn't it. It must be either the "City of Denver" or the "City of Portland."
  4. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

thanks Russ have info on thoes engines but no pic's with it :)
  5. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

it is definitely the 'City of Denver', M-10005. The 'City of Portland' M-10001 looks totally different.

Have a look at this thread in the photo section where I put my pics, before I saw that the same theme is treated here also.

BTW: What do you think of the styling of these streamliners? Art deco style, I think - crossbreeded between a luxury car of the time and a bomber plane. :D :D :D

6. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I like the Santa Fe "spot motors" of the same era. The first time I saw one, I thought it looked like George Barris had done some custom work including "frenching" the headlights on an E8!