what is it?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I answered this one in the "photography" forum, but I was mistaken. I knew I had a picture of the train somewhere, and I just found it. I think it is the M-10003 locomotive pulling the "City of Denver." The M-10001 was also very similar and pulled the "City of Portland." Both of these streamliners debuted in 1934. It might also be the M-1000 which was similar in design, but ran a "distillate" engine ( I presume they mean gasoline). It was assigned to a short run between Salina and Kansas City. I just found a pic of the "City of Salina" with the M-1000, and this one isn't it. It must be either the "City of Denver" or the "City of Portland."

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Russ,

it is definitely the 'City of Denver', M-10005. The 'City of Portland' M-10001 looks totally different.

Have a look at this thread in the photo section where I put my pics, before I saw that the same theme is treated here also.

BTW: What do you think of the styling of these streamliners? Art deco style, I think - crossbreeded between a luxury car of the time and a bomber plane. :D :D :D

Ron

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I like the Santa Fe "spot motors" of the same era. The first time I saw one, I thought it looked like George Barris had done some custom work including "frenching" the headlights on an E8!