What is it?

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by 77railer, Dec 19, 2005.

1. 77railer

77railer Member

Can someone id the engine for me...I dont know how to tell them apart. Thanks...77Railer

Attached Files:

2. csxengineer

csxengineer Member

Csxt 8054 Sd40-2 Emd
  3. 77railer

77railer Member

What does the EMD stand for? Also there was a conrail engine on the line..is it common practice for conrail to run with csx? Never seen one before...thanks for the info.

4. Wabash Banks

Wabash Banks Member

It is becoming less common as the engines get painted. CSX bought Conrail. It is a shame too because the CSX paint scheme is ugly. The Conrail blue was rather nice, if not simplistic.
  5. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

A good source for loco identification is the "Contemporary Diesel Spotters Guide". You can pick a copy up at your LHS(I've just about wore the cover out on my copy). Another good source is George Elwoods site:http://www.rr-fallenflags.org, though I've found that some pics are misidentified.
    EMD is Electro Motive Division. Its a division of GM.
  6. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

EMD stands for Electromotive Division, the locomotive building division of General Motors. The other major locomotive manufacturer is General Electric.
  7. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Don't forget Alco! :D
  8. 77railer

77railer Member

Thanks fellas
  9. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

I know that the SD40-2 is used in helper service on mountain divisions around the United States. They are used for this because they are really reliable. They have been in service since the 70's & 80's.
  10. johnny b

johnny b Member

Actually Conrail was divided betwwen CSX and Norfolk Southern. I don't see as much of the CSX around my area but it is also very common still to see Conrail engines , and cars to be mixed with NS.
  11. Art67

Art67 Member

Another interesting part of the nomenclature is that SD=special duty {6 axles}, and GP= general purpose {4 axles}.
  12. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

Yes Conrail was split between N/S & CSX. I think most of the Conrail locos that CSX aquired went south as in Florida and Huntington shops while CSX sent their locos north into Conrail territory.
  13. HPRL

HPRL Member

These Locomotives are getting as old as some of these Jet Line flying the skys. Pretty scary...
  14. johnny b

johnny b Member

Well living in Pittsburgh I see much more NS than CSX and have yet to see csx and conrail mixed. NS seems to have gotten the majority of the lines around here maybe do to CSX allways having lines in this area. I think NS took over the big rail yard here though.
  15. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Norfolk Southern took over the Old PRR Route from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh.
  16. ross31r

ross31r Member