What is it called?

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by hiscopilot, Jan 18, 2007.

1. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

I know someone posted a thread on this not too long ago but I cant find it and I need to know what it is called and where I could find one...

Its a piece of track- 2 parallel pieces with an x of crossings between them- it looks like it would be made with 4 switch outs and a rossing in the middle.

If anyone can tell me what it is and even better where I can get one cheap in HO scale, I would be ever so grateful!

2. nolatron

nolatron Member

A double crossover? Like this?

That's the Kato unitrack version. A seach for "Double crossover" at interntrains.com will pull up 3 different brands/prices/code.
  3. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

aaugh! Thats it! YOu are awesome! Thank you so much! And sooooooo fast too!

4. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

oh my goodness, I had NO IDEA it would be so expensive! YIKES! Guess its time to rewrite my track plan again! LOL
  5. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Before you give up, realise that to do the same thing in MORE space will still take 2 right and 2 left hand switches. When you price out 4 switches the price will be pretty close to that double crossover. The only other thing to keep in mind is that most commercial double crossovers have all 4 of the tracks as one common block. If you want to run one track in one direction, and the other in the other direction, you will need to separate them. On my first layout, I insulated all 8 rails coming in and out of the crossover to make it a separate block by itself. I then would switch the direction to match whatever train was approaching the crossover.
  6. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

right, those are all good points.

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself

But I do have enough track pieces in my stash to make that, I just might have to cut a few rails to do it. So, if I can figure the wiring out, I may do it. Ugh... all I wanted was to make a cool place for the diesels at the dock to run on (Salty, etc) LOL
  7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

If you can use 2 single crossovers, if you have the space, it's a bit easier to operate.
  8. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

thats a good point! Maybe I can do that. I *Think* where I am putting it I have the space.

9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

The other advantage of two single crossovers is that they can form a runaround and/or passing track which can be quite useful, especially on smaller layouts with lots of action. ;) :D

10. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

11. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

and one thing about a double crossover between two mainline loops is that the train
    can travel the entire circuit of both loops without changing a switch.
  12. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

I think Peco makes that track section too.

13. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

I've heard it called a scissors crossover...