What is HERZOG?

Russ Bellinis

I had to make a service call to Needles last week. In 30 years this was the first time I've had to go on a call so far from home that I had to take a hotel room for the night and return the next day. Just East of Barstow next to the I40 is a large pile of BNSF's red volcanic ballast. I think it is a storage yard for ballast. I noticed a cut of either brand new, or freshly rebuilt ballast hoppers on the siding next to the ballast yard, and they all had HERZOG stenciled on the sides in large letters. Is HERZOG a leasing company? Is BNSF selling ballast to other companies?

MCL_RDG

My Dear Russ,...

...If you don't know what HER Zog is, I might be wondering if Zig/Zag would be out of the question? There's no need to reply.

Consider this a Happy Holidays to all :wave: :wave: :wave:

Mark :eek:

MKMED

I am new to this site aw well as model railroading, but I believe Herzog to be a company based in St. Joseph, MO that builds proprietary equipment for contract repair of railroad infrastructure and material/goods handling.

Mark

ezdays

Out AZ way
When we lived in Wickenburg, we would drive parallel to about 40 miles of BNSF mainline when going into town. We frequently saw Herzog maintenance equipment along the way. I posted some pictures hee about a year ago of some rail grinders and balast spreaders we see occasionlly. We now live in Surprise, AZ and are still just a few miles from these same tracks. I seem to be the only one that is not annoyed when we have to wait at the crossing. :wave: :wave: :cool:

KCS

I'm not to sure about Herzog. down here in Shreveport Louisiana the KCS had load's of Herzog cars. 98% of them were gondola's with rock and crushed fine ballast for a construction company right next door to my grandmothers neighborhood where I used to go down and get some 1-on-1 of switching basics from the local crew on job #6. At one point I got to sit in the engineers seat (YA!) and moved a cut of empties out on the main line and split a cut of loaded Herzog's back onto a split siding where then a trackhoe would be driven up a steel ramp and to the first car and unloaded one scoop at a time car by car onto a conveyor and into new pits. I was around a couple of times when I saw a strange method being done. Instead of the normal long cut's of gon's with either KCS or Herzog on the sides. these were what I believe to have been ballast hoppers (all had Herzog on the sides) platform/deck on each end of the cars and would be unloaded underneath into the underground conveyor pit. I've always been into the gon's as a favorite car but I could never find any with the Herzog logo in "HO" scale. I believe this is a car temporary replacement service while other car's are undergoing upgrades and maintenance

Thanks for the link Jodam. Did you guys check out the equipment they have on their website? Go into the rail services link and watch the videos about their equipment. Very intriguing!

Freelancer

That car topper was so freaking cool!!!!!:D :D :D I showed it to all the guys in the office and they were floored......and they're not even into trains. I would pay to get to operate one of those for an hour!!!!!:thumb: