What is going on?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Mountain Man, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

When this began, I was surprised and disappointed to see a coulpe of fine people with a lot of knowledge and experience leaving simlutaneously, Now that it has blossomed to six or seven, I'm starting to get a bad taste in my mouth. "Once is chance; twice is coincidence and three times is deliberate enemy action." I have never found that to be wrong in my entire life, and this is twice as many in one day. The only place with a worse track record is General Motors.

Apparently, there are other forums that are more attractive to our senior and most experienced members, and equally apparently that information is not being shared with the rest of us, nor does it now appear that we have been given a very truthful explanation in most cases of what is actually going on behind the scenes. I say this deliberately because in every single case so far, the moderators have chosen to step down from this forum, not the conflicting one(S).

N Gauger, you are the forum admin. Would you care to clarify the situation, or are you also moving on to unspecified greener pastures?
  2. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

Yeah, this is kinda weird. Why is everyone jumping ship? More importantly, who is going to be covering the lost places?

Are new mods going to be appointed? I'd volunteer for the interim, but i don't know if i have that much time to mod the boards in the coming months.
  3. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

I too agree that there is a bigger story to this, and a better explaination would be good. But at the same time, as long as the mods stepping down, continue to share the great advice, pictures, info, etc. the Guage will continue to be my favorite modeling forum around!
  4. Mountain Man

The problem is, these are the same senior and experienced people who have constantly sworn that this was the best forum they knew of.

I am reminded of the immortal words of Big Daddy in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof:

"There is a powerrful odor of mendacity in this here room."
  5. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

Most of them seem to have reasons. I'm willing to bet that the "crowdgathers" were probably cracking down on those who weren't following the rules that they could prove were moderating other sites. Either that, or the mods only noticed that rule now, and i'm guessing most of them have involvements on other forums.

Whats more, I have a funny feeling that the former moderators probably don't like being held to some group's strict rules, and i don't blame anyone for leaving. This might be a great forum, but there is a point where the website owners might be going to far, and i bet it has been crossed.
  6. nachoman

nachoman Guest

woah, I just checked the forum for the first time since this morning...and this is a little weird...

Reminds me of my last job - a bunch of people quit unexpectedly within a few weeks. Then a few weeks later I realized the issue, and was looking for new job myself. The general atmosphere was soured, and that came from the top down...
  7. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Like I said, don't panic, there is some change in the wind and this is the first step to the change. Believe me, no one is "leaving" Zealot, everyone that has resigned as moderators have said they'll be staying here. It's just that we are reorganizing a bit so just hang in there until you see the end result. I promise you, you will be pleased, or you'll get a refund of your full purchase price, less shipping and handling of course...sign1sign1sign1sign1
  8. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

Don, thats not the straight goods.

Many of us expect more.
  9. scubadude

scubadude Member

What gets me is that the new regime doesn't even have the guts to respond or explain why the greatest Mods in forum history are leaving. They are just throwing them under the bus......cowards!I guess I better change my name before I get banished as a dissident....
  10. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Exactly. Thank you, Ron, for expressing that thought succinctly and with restraint.
  11. Mountain Man

We not only expect more...we wonder why we aren't getting it.

For the first time ever this morning, I seriously thought about not even coming to this forum.
  12. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Faith my friend, did it every occur to anyone that we have said all we can right now, and we cannot rush any further explanations, just as no one should rush for answers. We've always been straight-shooters with everyone here and we're not going to be any different now. Just trust us for a little bit longer, that's all we ask.
  13. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

What all of this is all about concerns me. However it is not for me to question. The one thing I am getting truly unhappy about is the way some of you are reacting. Don, I'm taking you at your word, and all the other mods. They have never given me reason to mistrust them, and I'm not going to start now. We have a great forum - the best - forum, so don't start any flaming now. That alone could start the structure crumbling, with or without mods. I am delighted that Zealot is still here, all of you well known friends are here, so I can ask for nothing more.

I hope I don't sound like I'm coming down on anyone. We should try to be content with what we have. The mods have their life to live and far be it from me tell them how to do it. God Bless them in all their endeavors.

14. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Much appreciated Lynn. We realize the simultaneous resignation of several moderators is odd and disruptive. Please believe that we're all still very interested in keeping good connections and community in model railroading. Thank you for your patience.

15. chooch.42

chooch.42 Member

Thanks for the explanation (such as it is) - we all sensed something was not right and expected the worst. I will wait and see what's coming next while standing behind the "Staff" and friends at "The Gauge", hoping all evolves to everyone's benefit and satisfaction. Crowdgather has their agenda, but stand to lose their investment here if they substantially disrupt this forum. Thanks, all, for hanging in there and working for a better solution. Bob C. :thumb:
  16. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Thank you for your support and confidence. We will not let you down, we've not yet, and we're not about to start.
  17. Mountain Man

It is never a good idea to confuse being pi**ed with being panicked. :curse:
  18. e-paw

e-paw Member

OK, one question, whose moderating now.
  19. Mountain Man

Why? Is there anyone left to be moderated?

BTW - if I leave before you do, turn of that stupid light at the end of the tunnel, will you? :cool:
  20. e-paw

e-paw Member

No, I say leave it lit as a memorial.