What is better? Medical Scalpel vs X-Acto?

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Shin_kazama, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

i prefer scalpel.

here in philippines scalpel blades cost only 10 US Cents(7 ph pesos) compared to X-acto being twice that.

xacto handles cost about $2(PhP 120.75) compared to $.50(PhP 21.75)

xacto handles roll when used in reclining surfaces, scalpels dont due to flat shape.

both provide excellent grip and sharpness but the scalpel at half the cost.
  2. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

Personally I prefer the X-acto for general hacking and slashing and the scalpel for more precision cutting.

The scalpel is definately the best at removing the tips of your fingers!

3. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I use #11 scapel blades. I like the small tip and low price, especially when bought in bulk. They fit in the fiskars xacto type handle I use pretty good. Unlike xacto blades I have never had a tip break off a scapel blade.
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

scalpel all the way - defintely need to keep something heavier on hand for cutting formers and stuff - scalpels bend way too easy for that :)
  5. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

yeah, i agree, more control with i little more weight..

but XACTos blades rust in like a few days, making it dangerous when accidentally wounDing finger(tetanus shot anyone?)

plus side of scalpels is that theyre sterilized.

NULLMOON Member

i agree with that i ruined my cerberus model i was working on by acidently stabbing myself in the wrist with a scalpel hiding in the paper"debris" in seconds my cerberus looked like a massacre had taken place i barely felt it despite the depth in went in so yes there sharp

as as far as modeling...scalpel all the way there cheaper,SHARPER,hevier and come in a number of variations in blades and handels that can be used for hobby work:thumb:

im my opinion x actos snap to easy are too light the design dosnt allow maximum pressure on the blade and there overpriced:cry:
  7. sakrison

sakrison Member

I agree. I buy #11 Xacto-type blades in bulk. They are sturdy and can be resharpened (most of the time) with a few strokes on a whetstone.

The scalpel blades are noticably sharper and dull noticeably faster. I have seen scalpel blades snap, at the tip and farther up the blade.

I keep both on hand: scalpel for fine cuts and tight work, hobby blades heavier or more run-of-the-mill stuff. I don't recommend dropping either one into your lap. (Ask me how I know this....). I also use scissors for a lot of the cutting work.

8. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

scalpel blades and handles i feel are better even so when they are free as i work at my local hospital !!!!!!!!:thumb:
  9. Kjev

Kjev Member

Scissors. I use scissors.

I do have a nice set of X-Acto blades, and I occasionally break one out for teenier parts, holes, and suchlike, but for general cutting parts out, I use scissors.

And if anyone ever comes across a genuine pair of left-handed scissors (with the blades AND the handles reversed), please let me know!!!!

How you right-handers ever civilized the world doing everything backwards is completely beyond me.
  10. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

what i use for punching nice holes?

i use metal antenna rods, disassembled and ther ends sharpened, then using a small hammer, i just tap a nice round hole.

i prefer surgical blades since they are cheap, about its breaking easily, X-acto breaks just as easily.

surg blade offer an advantage in rust prevention and especially since it is designed to cut up people, it is sterilized via gamma radiation.
  11. sakrison

sakrison Member

Try this link: http://www.thelefthand.com/scissors.html

.wohemos hguorht elddum ew tub ,ysae ton s'tI

,seirrow oN
  12. dwfunk4475

dwfunk4475 New Member

Been there, done that! Got the hole in the trousers and the scar on the thigh!