What is a modular layout?

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by lil'train, Aug 15, 2006.

1. lil'train

lil'train New Member

I have a simple question: what is a modular layout? And what is the difference between that and a, well... "regular layout?
    Thanks again.
  2. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

That's a rather broad question, but I think the NMRA says it fairly well.

Basically a modular layout is a layout that can be broken into smaller pieces for transportation and storage. Generally the individual modules conform to a specification and are constructed and owned by different individuals.
  3. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Nothing more that I can add except the word "standards" can get bounced around pretty good by various clubs or groups. Originally the NMRA "standards were meant to be a national thing so that everybody could get together with their modules.
  4. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

True, but it would seem that a quick afternoon project could build a set of adapter modules to get two modular club layouts working together. Not fully interchangable, but at least the same trains could be traversing the entire collection of track at once. Looong trains :)
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

The distinction between a "modular" layout and a "portable" or "sectional" one is that the ends of the modules are uniform -- and end will match with any other end. The intent was that modellers who had never met could bring modules and they would match up.
    A sectional layout may not have this feature -- it is intended to go together one way only.