What im Thinking (building a layout)

erikstoll

So im somewhat new, and I am finally planning on building a layout. First off, Im youngish and in college so i dont have the space, or the $ to finance some massive project. I do however have some decent ideas of what I would like to be able to do that could be expanded on in the future.
I was thinking of making the layout in modules 2'x4' and have four of them or so in order to have a decent size but still have living area in my apartment.
As for the layout itself, Im going to be modeling Montana, or somewhere around there, mainly having Great Northern, but as well NP, SP&S, Milwaukee, C&NW, MRL, CN and CP, as well as maybe a made up railroad or two as well.
So, anyone have any thoughts, ideas, questions, comments, concerns or the like? If so i would be welcome to hear them to help build the layout that i need and want. (anything is better than a 4x8 foot loopy thing on a pool table afterall

L

lester perry

Couple of questions to start with. Is this your first layout? Are you looking for a loop type for continuous running (just watch it run through scenery) or point to point? Switching as in a yard? Local services. This should help get things started here. I am not one of the layout design gurus but these are things they will need to know plus more in order to help you. I will watch for a while to help with suggestions.
Les

erikstoll

Couple of questions to start with. Is this your first layout?
nope, although the first one that wont be on just a 4x8 piece of wood.
Are you looking for a loop type for continuous running (just watch it run through scenery) or point to point? Switching as in a yard? Local services.
Basically, i want a yard, perhaps some services and the like, and a way to have a train loop as well. All depends on what all can be crammed into the space. A yard of decent size is a must though.
This should help get things started here. I am not one of the layout design gurus but these are things they will need to know plus more in order to help you. I will watch for a while to help with suggestions.
Les

erikstoll

Erik,

Check Welcome to the HOTRAK website to see what can be done with a group of four 2x4 foot modules. You can also build narrow bridges and/or curves to get the continuous run you want.

Andrew

thanks, that helps alot. I know there is alot that i can do, with what i have space wise, alot just depends on what i can afford and the like. I like the amount of detail that i can fit onto a module, as well as then be able to move and reconfigure things in a easier manner

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
If you stick with a single main line, there's a lot of typical small town stuff you can model with 1-3 turnouts.

It really depends on what you like to do - if building the models and detailing things is more enjoyable than the running of trains (even temporarily) then there's a lot of satisfaction in building a couple of modules.

The added bonus is that they can be (relatively) easily transported, and incorporated into future layout(s).

Andrew