What If.....

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Stuart, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Stuart

Stuart New Member

What if you had to start again from scratch. Would you model the same scale or do someting diffrent..

I myself would do something diffrent and model some S-Scale, "Why" you ask.. In Australia this is a very rare and a small Exhibition switching layout would be great.

2. Catt

Catt Guest

Stuart, I model in 3 scales in two different gauges (standard and narrow ) and would probly do it all again if I had to start over.
  3. msowsun

msowsun Member

I have been in HO for about 20 years. The only thing I would do differently is not buy so many cheap engines and rolling stock.

Anyone want to trade about 100 plastic locos for a few nice brass steam engines?
  4. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

I'd probably stick with HO since I like the size. I might consider modeling the Soo Line in the early 80's that I regularly saw operating near my home in the Twin Cities. Another possibility, and more challening, might be to try to accurately portray the steam era Ulster & Delaware, a small line in the Catskill Mountains that connected with NYC's West Shore line. I received an excellent book about this railroad as a gift.
  5. Alan Bickley

Alan Bickley Member

I would still stick with HO. After all, it has the biggest range of accessories available and as I model a lot of road transport, I find HO scale has to be the best catered for.
  6. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I would and have started into On30. I'm currently doing a large area of a club layout in HO. I got into the On30 because small details in HO are getting hard to deal with. Some of you other senior folks can relate, I'm sure. Also I want to get back to modular layouts for home because thats what our HO club was originally. We suddenly found ourselves with a building and the modules became stationary.
  7. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I'd stay the same...HO...just can't beat the price and availability of inexpensive, sometimes free for the asking, castoffs that I come across. I was looking thru my latest Walthers mailer and realized the hobby has left me in the dirt budgetwise a long time ago. I'm as happy as a pig in slop when I find an HO junkbox at a fleamarket or yardsale. Check out my website and you'll see I don't hurt for it.:thumb:
  8. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

I am HO but if $$ was no problem and I had the space it would be O gauge (2 rail) But as it is I am satisfied with HO.
  9. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

I went from HO to N because the lack of space. I am now in an apartment. I miss my basement!:cry: The G scale train will be under the tree again this year! :thumb:

10. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

S is a good choice and so is G.

I have strated from scratch this year with HO and while being an O gauger for years lost it all to a flood.

I picked up where I left off pretty much but with a lumber and coal theme.