What if...

Elite Lancer

Nov 9, 2005
OK, this is my "what if" thread for model railraoding where basically I just list some things that I think would be cool if they happened:

1) What if everyone brought their train sets (or whatever they are officially called) to a sigle place and combined them?

2) What if model there was a millionaire who was really good at and like model railroading? He could like buy a warehouse and make the world's largest train set. Or he could have one going around his backyard. Or a lot of other stuff. What is the world's largest train set anyways?

3) What if there was a device that literally ran your trains for you? Where the trains would run from stop to stop or pick up/drop off cars by themselves from it. You would program it to do certain cycles and for multiple trains it would detect if two trains would crash and correct it. Something like this may already exst, but I don't know.

4) What if we actually put the scale letters in order? sign1

5) What if I could come up with more what ifs?

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
The Last show I went to at Timonium had a train composed of 115 hopper cars. I think it was the Western Maryland Railroad Historical Society modular setup. Basically what you are asking about with trains joined together is being done by modular railroaders.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
2) What if model there was a millionaire who was really good at and like model railroading? He could like buy a warehouse and make the world's largest train set. Or he could have one going around his backyard. Or a lot of other stuff. What is the world's largest train set anyways?

Model Railroader featured something like that in an issue a year or two ago about a guy who built a huge barn like structure and filled it with what maight be the largest model railroad owned by an individual. I think it currently has a Pennsylvania RR steam era theme but has in the past featured Penn Central and Conrail action.

Ralph

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
There were a lot of millionaires involved in model railroading...The late musician, David Rose had a huge layout. Also one of the best crooners of all time (in my opinion), Mel Torme was an avid mrr.

Allan

FiatFan

Jul 16, 2004
Elite Lancer said:
3) What if there was a device that literally ran your trains for you? Where the trains would run from stop to stop or pick up/drop off cars by themselves from it. You would program it to do certain cycles and for multiple trains it would detect if two trains would crash and correct it. Something like this may already exst, but I don't know.

It would be very boring!

Tom

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
Years ago I sold a yard and engine service to a guy in central New York state. All hand laid track. One of the many times I was getting out of the hobby. He worked for IBM and had a four-story barn that he was going to fill with a layout (that's why he bought my yard). He also had the largest collection of model railroad magazines I ever saw in one place. Took up an entire floor of the barn. Maybe I should have kept in touch.

Allan