What if......

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
Well here i went and tore down the layout a few months ago, so in the intern months i was planning a new layout and wanted to run a new road on it.

But I couldn't settle on just any roadname, I was looking for a southwesternly type. Southern Pacific was the fore runner, then there was Virgina & Truckee. But Like a bolt of lightning it hit me a few nights ago, The Central Pacific would be perfect.

So imagine the Central pacific existing into the early 20th century (up to transistion era), instead of aquiring Southern pacific in 1868 and merging with it in 1885 (side note here, CP bought SP, but kept the SP name, something that would happen again about a century later when SP bought UP and kept the UP name. which means UP is actually CP and this is pretty ironic considering the two were the ones that built the first transcontiental), a couple of things arise that would have to be taken care of.

Reporting marks:
in searching for the Central Pacific's reporting marks, I find no active listing (they've fallen off the lists), but several pictures show CPRR, which is not taken by any line as i can tell (you'd expect Canadian Pacific to have these, but they have CP and CPR, but no CPRR).

Therefore, I think I'm safe in saying their marks would be CPRR, unless someone elss can find it's real marks.

Paint Schemes:
All this comes from speculation from viewing a few pictures. Early on the locomotives seemed to be a deep red (maroon maybe?) color with a secondary deep blue (Royal Blue maybe?) (cab red, boiler blue, tender red with a blue trim). The passenger cars were of the same red color as well.

that being said, it looks like a dark maroon color with a royal blue secondary would be the color sets. This could get interesting with the later years as we add shrouds to the steamers and introduce a few diesels (e's and F's).

Locomotives:
Well, being as they only existed up to 1885, means they probably only had 4-4-0-0's and 2-6-0's and maybe a handful of 0-6-0's, I belive i can satisfactory just use almost any engine used in the west during their fictional lifespan (1880-roughly 1950) of mine.

So that's it, If I know the reporting marks (and i think i've got them down) and the color scheme to be used (please chime in if you got a better idea for the colors) and Locomotives aren't a major issue, I think I can have a pretty good lost (I use lost instead of fallen, because technically they still exist, just under a different name) Line.

So anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Ha Jay, Here's some pics I found on a Central Pacific site I stumbled across a while backCape Horn above the American River 1 Cape Horn above the American River 2 You can see the reporting marks on the last car in front of the caboose- C. P. 5084 N. Check out all the brakemen on the roof, what a ride that must have been! You may like to check out this site if you like the CP, mountains of text and pictures to sift through. http://cprr.org Click the "Exhibits" link to view the photo gallerys.

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
Yea, saw those reporting marks, but CP is taken by that scoundral of a line Canadian Pacific :p , so I think CPRR will have to work.

I wouldn't want to be a brakeman durning that time, was way to dangerous, falling off while moving, kocked off when entering tunnels, sudden stops while walking arcoss the roofs, ect.

was looking at CPRR.org before, what a wonderful sight of information.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Why not keep the CP and let that late comer Canadian Pacific find something else? You had it first. And if you keep CP (the other CP!) equipment off your road, no problem.

Gary

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Or since your freelancing anyway, you could freelance the Canadian Pacific out of existance. It's your world so do what ever you like.

Goattee

Feb 12, 2004
Walls, MS
Visit site
At Ic's Johnston yard, I have heard the old men say that a brakeman a day was killed humping. I'm sure that was an over statement. But then who knows. It could have been that bad.

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
Goattee said:
I have heard the old men say that a brakeman a day was killed humping.
you know you could almost take that out of context and it'd be funny.;) Riding a set of boxcars down a hill with only a wheel brake to control it doesn't sound like fun to me. I can imagine many Brakemen dying from collisions resulting from not timing the braking perfectly.

Hmm..no Canadian Pacific eh? Hmm....So Stay with CP as the Roadmarks and drive everyone crazy when they say "oh you're modeling the Canadian Pacific?" :p Course, half the stuff would have Central Pacific on it and that might drive those that know nothing about the little known lost Road crazy too. :p