What if former doesn't fit?

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by KenG, Apr 18, 2008.

1. KenG

KenG New Member

I'm building the Marek BF-109F in 1:50 scale. I've started a few planes in the past but never finished one. I purchased this model thinking it was reasonably simple and I would finish it. Anyway, I'm having trouble with the formers. I end up with a gap on the top. Is this normal or did I do something wrong? As it is, it won't join up with the next section. Should I make a new section and trim the fuselage piece a little along its length so that when it wraps it will fit tighter? Since this is a digital kit, I can print as many as I like, but I'm wondering what would I do if this was a printed kit? I would appreciate any help! Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. loadmat

loadmat Member

Being you can print a new page, I would take a look to make sure that the former is in the correct position. If it is positioned correctly, hold the fuselage on end on scrap cardstock and trace around the fuselage. Then position the incorrect former over the traced former and compare both to ensure the shape is close. It should turn out ok.
  3. KenG

KenG New Member

I checked and the former is in the right position. I think my problem might be that I cut too much of the line away. I tried doing what you suggested and it looks like I cut too much of the line away. So, I should always cut to the outside of lines. Thanks!
  4. bclemens

bclemens Member

Hi, Ken,
    Sometimes it's the simple things that mess us up...The former has the letter "E" on it. Is it possible that it's not the one that's supposed to go in that position? Maybe the "E" former is supposed to go in a place further back in the fuselage where the skin circumference is smaller.
    ...wouldn't be the first time one of us has mixed up parts...:thumb:

Well, I submitted this before reading your last post, Ken, so I demur to you. But is looks like a line width's difference wouldn't account for all that space. I don't know...
  5. Texman

Texman Guest

Don't just use a blanket "cut outside the lines", unless you do that for any of Marek's kits. Some kits are better outside, some inside, and some right in the middle of the line. Hence, the recommended dryfit, dryfit, dryfit, then glue comes into play. A method I use, is since I print a copy of the model on regular paper to use for joining strips, I use the paper former to check where I need to cut it out.

Just what works for me

6. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

If something doesn't fit, there's always the option of trimming the former. ;)

...Scratch above...
  7. exzealot

exzealot Member

Some models have tabs on the adjacent fuselage skin sections that the former fits into. In other words, the gap that you are seeing is supposed to be filled with tabs from the next fuselage skin.

Just guessing.

8. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

If the former is the correct one for that section, you can add a paper strip around it to enlarge it's circumference.
  9. KenG

KenG New Member

This model doesn't have tabs. It has identical formers where fuselage sections meet and the two sections are just glued and butted together. I re-cut the former and section and now the formers fit. I cut the former a little large and dry fit and sanded until it was right.

Thanks to all for the help!

10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I think wrapping a paper strip around also makes it much easier to join adjacent sections. Maybe that's what the gap is "for"... :D
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Like Lex just mentioned - I had one of these butt join models once upon a time and man, I couldnt get them the join up nicely. I ended up keeping the formers to shape but a bit smaller (or larger depending on position if needed) and set them in about 1/4 inch or so. Then I joined the sections with paper strips. I dunno - it just worked out a lot better for me. But then we all have our own ways of overcoming the same problems too :) how about a pic of your progress on the join?
  12. KenG

KenG New Member

Well, I got former E sized right and I glued the cockpit and the next section together. I think if I ever do another one with joins like this I'll try what Chris and others have suggested (paper strip and formers in a little). Here's some pics of where I'm at now (built three times to get this far). I still need to clean up and color edges.

Attached Files:

13. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

looks funny you saying that about the formers ive had problems with a few of mareks formers on some of his kits.i tend to only use them if i have to now if they dont fit i just size em up.looking good so far.keep up the good build :thumb:
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looks like you have it worked out pretty well :)
  15. bclemens

bclemens Member

Great job, Ken. That's the beauty of paper modeling- The outcome is a synthesis of the model and the modeler. There are techniques and skills that can be applied to solve problems- this is, in my opinion, a much higher form of modeling than just gluing plastic parts together :)
    Keep up the good work- I know this will be one you finish!
  16. sakrison

sakrison Member

I've built several of Marek's kits and I always use the joiner-strip method to mate sections. I get better results that way.

If I cut a former a little too small, I sometimes glue a thin paper strip around the edge to bring it up to size.

It's also possible that Marek made that former too small or labeled it incorrectly. He's very good, but nobody's perfect. That's one of the things that makes this hobby interesting.

No worries,
  17. Romanator

Romanator Member

It could be that your paper is a different size than intended I did this several times without realizing it and had very bad models as a result. wall1 The printer will stretch or squeeze the image (in my case an A4 size) into another size I was using (such as 8 by11) The effect isn't realy noticable until you start gluing. :cry: If its the case you might have to cut and paste with foto shop or something to get it right. :rolleyes:
  18. KenG

KenG New Member

Thanks for the suggestion Romanator. There are no printing directions with the model. I've been wrapping the former with 65# paper as David suggested. I'm having trouble with the fuselage taking on a banana shape as I add more sections and have had to print out and rebuild again a couple of times. It seems to be working better now though. ---Ken