What I miss most....

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by cgutzmer, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Do you all remember the days here when you could log in, check out a couple new build threads, pick up a modeling tip, or even just read a good joke? It wasnt that long ago, just a few weeks ago.

I for one miss those days. Now we argue copyright law, demand public apologies and post on inflammatory subjects until we are blue in the face.

I want those days back. This is not directed at any one person, do not take it as such. As one person pointed out (I paraphrase here) - its nearly impossible to convey your message in print - someone is almost always bound to take it other than how you meant it.

If I were someone new just looking to get into cardmodeling and I came to this site today. I wouldnt take a second look, I would turn around and look elsewhere. Is this the message we want to convey to people that are trying to get into this hobby? I know I am not.

Personally I love this place - I have lots of great friends here. I want it to stay that way. What I ask is that when you post think to yourself - Would I say this to my best friend, mother, sister, neighbor, boss or would I want someone to say it to me?

I think the posting as of late is a wake up call to us. Myself for sure.
    Thanks for listening.
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

That dollhouse buddy sure stirred things up for us... It's a miracle already that we don't this kind of person every day (we really do on some other forums). It'll still take a while for everybody to sit down and enjoy again...
  3. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I'll second that emotion :)
  4. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

OK. I'll third that motion. It's the weekend and I'm going to get some serious carding done. I need to finish the builds I've got going, so I can start my first design/build.

I don't like the 'steelers' and I will still watch the copyright threads, but I'm going to take a bit of a back seat when posting on them. I will still report sellers to ebay though.
  5. barry

barry Active Member

I'll go along with that Chris
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ditto barry!

Ummmmmmmm........... I think paul a was one of the recipients of a flame message. He PMed me he was taking a break from the site, and is not excepting PMs back.

As one who almost left, Thanks barry, Thanks Russell for talking me out of it!, I know how they feel......................BUT I do hope both Phil and Paul come back. As much as they contributed to this site they did more for the hobby itself!

Piracy is a BIG problem and will eventually bring this hobby to a stand still if uncheck............ some folks are very passionate about it. I believe more so on the other side of the Atlantic than the side I'm on. Maybe because it has been around there longer, I don't know.

But like Chris infured............... this supposed to be a fun hobby and lets all just get back to that................... HAVING FUN!:grin: :grin:
  7. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Since I'm a relative newcomer to card modeling and this forum, maybe that gives me a different perspective. I can't help but wonder if some of what you are worried about is the (possibly unavoidable) result of the hobby spreading and maturing -- at least in it's internet-era incarnation.

If things were friendlier and more casual before, could that be because there were relatively fewer people in the hobby? Maybe then it was more like friends who all knew each other, passing around free models they designed.

But cardmodeling seems to be expanding and becoming more popular, at least if newcomers like me are any indication. That means more strangers on this site, and a broader assortment of people getting involved. I expect that will have consequences, both good and bad.

The tedious legal issues and the like may well also be a sign of the hobby entering a new phase. Increased attention to matters like IP law may be an indication of a growing number of serious designers and more valuable designs, which should be a big net benefit for the community, even if it's accompanied by some new issues.

That being said, I still think this is the most civil internet forum I know of. I spend most of my surfing time on political blogs, and by comparison, this is a like a group of fine ladies and gentlemen on a genteel countryside outing. The level of support, friendliness and civility is still far above average for internet communities.

Card modeling, and this forum, will probably continue to evolve. That may mean losing a bit of some nice things, but hopefully it will also bring new benefits to offset them.

But no matter how it changes, I suspect that this forum will remain overall a friendly and welcoming place, because that culture is already firmly in place here. And that says a lot about the site owners, administrators and posters alike.
  8. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

It'll be fine.

The site is growing and attracting new members, and it's unavoidable that a small percentage of us are going to be wackos. There WILL be issues and conflicts along the way, but they're temporary. From a broader perspective, Growing Pains are a better problem to have than stagnation and lack of interest in the site and in the hobby.
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Yeah Carl - get on another biplane - I love those :)
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Are there any jets with two sets of wings? ;)
  11. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

12. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

13. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

One really has to wonder why they built it.

Just because they could?

They were drunk and it seemed like a good idea at the time?
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

HAH! Sweet :)
  15. damraska

damraska Member

16. cygielski

cygielski Member

It's all in the wiki - Big Brother insisted that it should be this way. :) Whether Big Brother was drunk at the time, that I don't know.:grin:
  17. damraska

damraska Member

Yes, yes. Prop thingys are bad. Jet thingys are good. Come over to the fast side.

18. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

At our local air show a couple of years ago I saw a biplane with a jet engine strapped to the bottom of it. The pilot was crazy, but man did he put on a great show! Sadly I don't remember the plane or the pilots name.
  19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Whats a canard???

20. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

A winglet ahead of the mainplane. Such as are found on the Viggen, Eurofighter (Typhoon II), and the XB-70.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.