What I Been Up To Lately:Passenger Station Diorama

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
The first pour of Realistic Water has dried. It does not seem to be deep enough so I will be doing another pour or two.

afu.jpg

afv.jpg

afw.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks Robin!

Well, I made pour number 2 and here how things look a day later. The Realistic Water still has a slight milky appearance since it is still drying.

afz.jpg

aga.jpg

Here is the painted retaining wall for the highway bridge approach. It is nothing more than a strip of wood painted to look like aged concrete.

agb.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks Val!

I began working on the roadway portion of the diorama. For this I am using Woodland Scenics Paving Tape and Smooth-it. First I placed the paving tape along the edge of where the road is going.

agk.jpg

I mixed up a batch of the Smooth-it according to the instructions and poured it. The stuff was messier than I thought it would be.

agl.jpg

In accordance with the instructions I waited about a half an hour for it to dry and then I removed the paving tape.

agm.jpg

BTW I am still waiting for the Water Effects to dry clear to post about my so-called effort to make waves in the stream.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks Robin!

I am still waiting for the Water Effects to dry clear. Last time I used it it took about 10 days.

Here is how the stream looks with the milky waves.

ags.jpg

Here is the roadway after being painted with Folk Art Dark Gray.

agt.jpg

I painted the roadway with a heavy coat of Folk Art Charcoal Gray. I then wiped it off with a paper towel. I laso painted the roadbed for the trolley tracks with Folk Art Acorn Brown.

agu.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Now I glued the highway bridge in place.

agx.jpg

Using a yellow paint pen to add the double yellow. However I screwed it up. To fix I dabbed some Charcoal Gray on the roadway and then using a paper towel I wipped down the roadway with the paint. This faded the line and made it look like an old line.

agv.jpg

agw.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Using the yellow paint pen I completed the double yellow line. Using a white paint pen I did the shoulder lines.

agy.jpg

agz.jpg

I need to weather the white lines a little to tone them down. Also I am not worried that they are a little squiggly and not perfect. I have learned that in real life it is almost impossible to paint the edge line along the edge of a crumbling pavement and have it straight.

I still have some overall weathering to do to the pavement.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks everyone!

I have weathered the trolley track and ballasted it. I purposely did a bad job of it and left gaps between the ties and not enough ballast on the outside. Around this area in the more rural locations especially trolley tracks were always poorly ballasted. In many cases the mud and muck would fill in between the rails.

ahf.jpg

ahg.jpg

I also used a fine point Sharpie to add cracks to the roadway.

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
Tom, this is really coming together great. :thumb:

One question. What was the width of the pen you used for your yellow and white line markings? Wide, medium, fine :confused: . Also, if you don't mind, who was the manufacturer of the pen? We are trying to get up our nerve to stripe our roads, and we'd really like to know what you decided to use and why. Did you lay a ruler out on the road surface and then run the pen along the edge? Did you find that the pen ran under the ruler (thereby smudging), or not? What did you learn about striping a road? :confused: :rolleyes:
I specifically like the weathering you did on the road in your last pictures. What technique did you use? -- You really captured tire tracking on the road. :thumb: I'd suggest, perhaps, some softening of the fine point sharpee cracks to make them fade into the background like you did on the rest of the the roadbed.
--Cabdriver