What I Been Up To Lately:Passenger Station Diorama

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Tileguy said:
I was glad to see that when you werent happy with something you stuck at it until you were.It really shows in the end.
There were times where I think it became a war of wills: mine against the diorama. One thing I have learned from this hobby is there are no mistakes just different outcomes and everything can be changed. :D

Tileguy said:
Ive thoroughly enjoyed this thread and I for 1 hope it never ends.
They say a layout is never finished,could it possibly be the same with a diorama??? ;)
I will answer with a resounding YES! :D :thumb: The plan for the diorama is that it will be part of the layout.

Things that I still need to do include:
The trolley stop.
The stairs from the trolley stop to train station.
Poles for the trolley wire.
Foilage around the road and trolley line.
Some more signs.
Utility poles along the roadway.
Light poles for the train station and trolley stop.
Benches
Vending machines.
Gutters and downspouts for the train station

After doing this list I am begining to wonder if it will ever get done. :D

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi Tom,

Great job on that Diorama...! You mention several colors of paints you've used, but not the brand. I would like to know what paints these are as they sure help to bring that diorama to life! That road to the bridge is really something to look at! Reminds me of old US 51 going south from Wisconsin into Illinois!! (The good ol' days..)
Gus.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks!

Gus
I use craft paints. 90% of the time I use the ones made by Folk Art. At times I also use Americana and Apple Barrel. If there is a specific color you are interested in let me know and I can post the maker and the product number.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Gus

Not much happening right now on the diorama. I am sort in between projects with it. The stairs will need some plans drawn up to get an idea what I need for it. Right now I am research scale lumber and a few other building materials. I still have a bunch of detail parts sitting on the work bench but I promised myself that I would finally decal a 54’ covered hopper that I painted over a year ago. I have one side of it done right at the moment.

I guess I just need a small break from it. I am still collecting things for it, however. :D

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Wyomingite said:
I was wondering if you have done your rapids yet as I can't wait to see them.

Here you go Ron;

I finally got around to photographing the stream now that the Realistic Water and the Water Effects have dried.

aic.jpg

aid.jpg

I am debating whether I want to add any white to the water to show rapids.

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Tom.

You did one beautiful job on that stream and I been following your progress from the beginning. After all your hard work I myself would be somewhat afraid to add rapids in fear of ruining what you have accomplished. I'm wondering if any of our forum members have ever added rapids or waterfalls to there layouts with any success? Wonderfull job Tom and beautiful pictures. Thanks'

Ron :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :wave: :wave:

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Nice work Tom, as others have said I don't think you need any rapids. Now I walk along a creek most mornings and something I notice is some surface bubbles in spots. I will try to take a photo of what I mean but will have to wait until I get home again in early June.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi Tom,
I don't think you need "whitewater" for the stream...it's got just the right "sparkle" to it, about right for the size of the stream.
I love that little bobber bringing up the rear of that train!!
Good job!!
Gus.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I'm with the rest Tom. The stream looks great as is. I also like your Zen approach to modeling:

"There were times where I think it became a war of wills: mine against the diorama. One thing I have learned from this hobby is there are no mistakes just different outcomes and everything can be changed. "

Great thread!
Ralph