what glue is the most suitable..

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by boonc, Sep 23, 2007.

1. boonc

boonc New Member

Hi i'm a new paper modeller from malaysia..and also new in this forum.

Just want to know what type of glue is best to use for paper modelling. I'm currently gathering the material i need before i starts to model. Any feedback is very much appreciated..

thanks in advance

*is UHU glue suitable?**
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Overall there are two types that are used - uhu and white. UHU is preferred by the european crowd and white is preferred by the US crowd - it might just be due to availability though. Many also is Duco cement with excellent results. Personally I use Aileens glue (gold bottle) for nearly everything but canopies.
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I'd also recommend white glue, haven't really used UHU but think that's also fine.
  4. boonc

boonc New Member

ok thanks alot guys for the reply..
  5. BARX2

BARX2 Member

6. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

When I first started building I used "super glue". Had to find the brands that say they work on "paper".

Wiccoll "Carton" white glue is the type in use now. It is just as fast as "super glue"!

It isn't just the type of glue you use. It is how you apply it!

Look for and buy a small application bottle; a bottle with a small diameter tube, or a syringe. Something that will allow you to apply just the right amount, where you need it!

Too much glue takes longer to set-up. Just the right amount and it is surprising how fast the model will go together without excessive "waiting for the glue to dry" time!

7. boonc

boonc New Member

oh..i see i see..understand..thanks for the insight and the share.

i have one more question. when folding part of any paper model, do you guys come across white ugly lines at the edges. it's like a thin white line of gap. do you get what i mean? so what do you guys do about it?

i'll try to post picture to make my question more understandable.
  8. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Well, I didn't quite get what exactly you mean by those white lines... If they are those on the edges of the part, many people go about it by colouring the edge with a marker pen of the right colour. If you mean there are "fold lines" on the model... then I'll have to blame the model designer for that ^^

--And please post some pictures to make your idea clear~
  9. romfolmar

romfolmar New Member

boonc, you might be scoring the paper too hard and breaking the surface. If thats it try something with a rounded edge or press lighter.
  10. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I use Aleene's Original Tacky Glue. I would asssume any tacky PVA (white) glue would achieve the same results. Tacky glues are readily available in craft and scrapbooking outlets.

As for the cracking problem - this can be caused by several things. Scoring with a sharp object, paper quality, type of printer used ie. laser or thermal/wax, over-bending the paper past its bend radius.

When using a stiff paper I sometime mark the ends of the score lines in the scrap area by piercing the paper with a knife and using those marks as a guide for scoring from the back.

Simple scoring/Hand-Burnishing tool link
    Finishing a PMC creation

Complex scoring/Hand-Burnishing tool link
    Scoring & Burnishing Tool @ Around The Block