What firewall is better to install?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by willmiller, Jan 19, 2007.

1. willmiller

willmiller New Member

I have the firewall that came with my windows xp. I want a better one. What is a VERY good firewall i can download and use for free that dosen't slow down my computer? :(
  2. angevine

angevine Member

The best free one I have come across is Zone Alarm from Zonelabs.

Easy to set up and very good at keeping people out. I have not known of it slowing down the system either.

If anyone knows of a better one I would be interested to hear!

3. Buki

Buki Member

Actually very popular is also Kerio. But also some antivirus-bundled FWs are very good - e.g. the one at TrendMicro OfficeScan.
  4. Kaz

Kaz Member

I used to use ZoneAlarm free version but now pay for it! and have done so for the past two years. Really must buy a router...and Kerio is also a good one,
    BTW if you have a router then there is no real need for a software firewall
  5. Buki

Buki Member

The AV-budled firewalls have one advantage - they are usually managed by regular AV update. OfficeScan´s bundled firewall has also IDS-functionality (Intrusion Detection). It is not a freware - but if you have already bought AV client - why not to use the firewall?

Or try to browse the Inet at full blast from some good Linux, like me at home ;-)
  6. Buki

Buki Member

hmmm, I forgot one important info: Adobe Reader has recently reported VERY ugly vulnerability, capable to expose access to system (widows). It is advised upgrade Adobe to versions 6.0.6 resp. 7.0.9 resp. 8.0 :) I advise to set automatic download/notification of critical updates: Edit / Preferences / Updates / select one of "... critical updates..."
  7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

you didn't see it, but this post a spam post

there are two periods in his sentence, with an underline, there is a URL associated with that.

and i am curious as to why someone would post that type of question in the News section of the site?

usually software and hardware questions go to another spot.

8. Kaz

Kaz Member

Eagle eye Rickstef again ! well done