What engine should I get for these cars

Gil Finn

I have a buch of Bill Board reefers as pictured below and a chane to buy some old coaches.

My question is what type is engine would head up a cansist of these?

I dont realy want an American type or General but if that is prototypical I may get one

bra_1306.jpg

0c89_1.JPG

shaygetz

Check out IHC's Premier 4-4-0 American. It represents one that has been refitted and would have seen use into the 1920s.

Attachments

• 4402.JPG
    4402.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 134

jr switch

The Bachmann Spectrum 10 wheeler would look real good pulling those reefers. You can get one from Hobbyfrenzy.com. Very fair price and quick delivery. John R

Gil Finn

I went tothat site and he is way out of line, about $20 over my local dealer on items under $50

How about this one, it is a Backman for $25?

c503_1_b.JPG

shaygetz

Gil Finn said:
I went tothat site and he is way out of line, about $20 over my local dealer on items under $50

How about this one, it is a Backman for $25?

c503_1_b.JPG

Yikes, that one bears no resemblance to anything this side of the big pond. What it appears to be is a Chinese tank locomotive lashed up to an old time wood burner's tender. The slide gear for the valves is pretty shoddy, too. It looks an awful lot like this battery operated train given to my son last year...and probably runs just as well. The American above cost me $34 NIB including shipping on FeEbay. It runs like a top.

Attachments

• toy.jpg
    toy.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 123

Pooh Bah
Gil: the passenger cars look a lot older than the reefer. I think a light pacific would look good on the reefers or a 4-6-0. The passenger cars look newer than the General; I might want an older 4-6-0 for them.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Gil, that one you showed is a dog... stay away! It doesn't run well at all.

If you've got a $50 cap on your budget, you're not going to find much in the way of a new, good-running steamer. Watch Ebay or a local model rr flea market.

Some of the other Bachmann steamers aren't too bad, like the 2-6-0 mogul or the 2-6-2.

Gil Finn

I am not interested in them any longer, thanks for the ideas.

Cannonball, your comments are always welcome, LOL.