What electronics do I need?

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by rob164, Feb 24, 2004.

1. rob164

rob164 Member

I am making a layout and I need to know what kind of electronics I need. Can someone tell me what I need? Thanks
  2. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Rob, Welcome to The Gauge.

Could you be a little more specific....electronics is a broad term when it comes to model railroads. Please elaborate on what you want to do and we'll be glad to help.
  3. krokodil

krokodil Member

First of all you will need a good music source to recover from different heavy problems occured during the construction.

:) :) :) :)
  4. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

:D :D :D :D that's right on, krok!

Need: a power pack

Want: ???
    Remote switch controls
    Automatic signals
    Block reversing
    DCC????? :D :D
    Computerised control
    The possibilities are endless!!
  5. railwaybob

railwaybob Member

6. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I would suggest starting out with an inexpensive DC power pack that will later be used on a test loop, a cheap low wattage soldering iron, and a $10 digital multi-meter.

LOL! OK, to fulfill this, you will need the following:

A big stereo in the layout room
    A PC with MP3 ripping software, and either a sound card with the output piped to the above stereo, or a CD burner and an MP3 capable CD unit in above stereo.
    If you have vinyl, a turntable connected to the stereo and the stereo piped to the line in on the sound card.
    A portable MP3 player for when the above fails to sooth the nerves and you need to go for a walk :D

:wave: :wave: :wave: Welcome to the-gauge Rob! :wave: :wave: :wave:
  7. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Maybe I'm visual, but I would buy a 32 inch TV and DVD player that says MP3 and CDR on the cover. FRED
  8. rob164

rob164 Member

can someone give me the electrical requirements i need just to make it run? thanks in advance
  9. rob164

rob164 Member

10. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Yes, that would be fine to run 1 or 2 locos in HO and several in N. It's also a good brand and I've never had a problem with MRC items. Good luck in you modelling. FRED
  11. rob164

rob164 Member

O, thanks Fred
  12. rob164

rob164 Member

Does anyone know if the flex track by atlas is any good?
  13. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

14. rob164

rob164 Member

o cool thanks
  15. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Trainworld is fantastic, they sell $80 locos for $30, no strings attached.

Glad you pointed out the tech 4. Great price!
  16. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Yeah, Trainworld not only have good prices but they are great on delivery too. I called them about 4 PM their time and they said the order would still go out that day... and it did. I've ordered from others and had to wait almost a week for them to ship.

BTW Rob, if you are looking for basics on wiring and other stuff, try the MNRA site, there is a lot of good tutorials and other data there click here .
    I printed almost everything they had there to use as a reference and it cost you nothing but the paper and ink.