What does your first locomotive look like?

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by MilesWestern, Dec 20, 2005.

1. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Here a couple pics of my first engine, a BNSF DASH 8-40B:

Attached Files:

2. AndyWS

AndyWS Member

I've already posted these pictures elsewhere, but here they are again. :)

This isn't my "first" locomotive (that came with a Bachmann train set in 1989), but looks just like it and replaced it when it broke down. The Santa Fe F unit seems to be the most popular locomotive there is for train sets, or at least it was for awhile.

This Athearn Milwaukee Road GP9 was purchased only a year or two after the train set, and ran with the train set Bachmann F unit when the "layout" still consisted of only the circle of train set track. It is still a regular fixture on the head end of trains on our layout.

First steam locomotive, from Bachmann. Ran for only 2-3 years, has been in storage since.

3. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

I thought ya'll'd get a kick out of this.... we were digging through some boxes the other day and lo'n behold, a photo of me receiving my first loco from my grandmother!!! So that's where it all started....

Attached Files:

4. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Too Funny!!!! That's Great!!!!
  5. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

I took a glance through this thread..... Great locos, but I'm kinda suprised how many steamers there are!? I guess I figured most people started with diesel then graduated to steam. Speaking of which;

I've got trackwork with minimum 18" radii.... some spots are only fair, but everything rolls on it well enough. I dream of getting a steamer one day. What wheel configuration 0/4/0 etc. would be the most forgiving?

Oh, here's my first loco Atlas GP40 B/N... :wave:

6. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Um, I have the smae problem, and I've been able to run up to a 2-8-0, but that's the MAX!! Any 6 coupled driver engine works exceptionally well on 18"r curves, and 4 coupled locos work ok, but lack pulling power and electrical pickup. There ya go!
  7. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

Coupled driver engine? What does that mean?

Also, what does MOW stand for?

8. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

MOW stands for Maintance Of Way. These are the cars that are on the track for track maintance and cleanup.
  9. 91rioja

91rioja Member

From way backa whena

When I was younger, these were my first three locos. Don't you love the paint job a 10 year old does? I couldn't tell you what they are (all except my N&W GP9). The I got older and I got the 4-8-4 early this year when I got back into MRRing.

Attached Files:

10. rfmicro

rfmicro Member

My first real loco was an American Flyer 2-4-2 (I believe) circa early 50's. My grandfather and I built a 4' x 8' plywood layout in the basement. Before that there was a wooden loco set I ran around the floor.

11. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Coupled drivers refer to the wheels on steam locomotives and some early diesels that are connected by the drive rods.
  12. Harpo

Harpo Member

First loco? I still have it!!! Somewhere...in the original box. It's an 0-4-0 camelback...can't remember the maker, possibly a forerunner of IHC. Bought it in a LHS in Wauwatosa Village, Wis., in about 1959 for about 6.95 or 7.95. I think the box still has the price tag on it. Great, now you all have tweaked my interest...I now have to rummage through piles of stuff stored in various forgotten places...but who knows what other treasures may also lurk there?

13. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

So does that mean an x-6-x is a six coupled driver?
  14. Twiget

Twiget Member

This is my first loco. almost 1 year old.sign1 It is a BLI model of a CNJ USRA Heavy Mikado 2-8-2.

Attached Files:

15. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

A little over a year since the last comment was posted to this thread and we've gotten lots of new members in that time period. Anyone else have pictures or stories of their first locomotive?
  16. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Thanks for re-surfacing one of my threads train nut! Makes me feel like one of the "Old Guard" here. :)
  17. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

My FIRST locomotive was an Alco C424 from Tyco... not pictures, though have the shell somewhere around here.

Here's the first one I bought with my OWN money:

Thats technically my 6th unit though. The Tyco, then my nephew gave me a life like F7, then I got a life like train set with 3, THEN I bought that one. I've since sold the rest besides the tyco.
  18. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Somewhere a long time ago, my dad got me a Tyco Sharknose Burlington Northern. It was a beautiful engine but I have no idea what happened to it. I'll bet it was confiscated and put in a box to never see the light of day again.
  19. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

First one...

Had a Tyco set in early 70's with a PRR F-unit/E-unit? (I can't remember which). Got the "Spirit of '76" set too and promptly dropped the engine showing it off to a friend. Here's my first Nscale loco - don't know how old it is. Bought it at a garage sale in '78, it stayed in a box for almost 30 years until my kids begged me to get it out and set up a layout. I weathered it just a year ago or so and did a horrible job (which you all were kind to overlook - but I appreciated the advice and encouragement to improve). One day, I'm going to clean it up a bit and weather it better. It's a MiniTrix U28CG I think...sort of hard to pin down since it doesn't exactly look like any prototype. It still runs - not well - but it does run.

Attached Files:

20. PWRR-2207

PWRR-2207 Rogue Islander

Fleischmann 2-8-2

Still have my first engine, a 1961 Fleischmann 2-8-2 #1367 with tender and UP markings. The road number is hard to read because I wore off the paint playing with it :oops:

1961 Fleischmann 2-8-2.jpg