What does your first locomotive look like?

MilesWestern

Post a picture (If you Can), of your first locomotive here.

This may include:

1. Your First locomotive EVER.
2. Your first New locomotive after you took a "break" from the hobby.
3. Your first locomotive that you bought in a new scale (say that you switched from HO to N, show the N scale loco.)
4. Finally if you have a ficticious road, show the first one to be adorned in your very own paint scheme.)

ALL SCALES APPLY HERE.;)

Can't wait to see 'em!

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Here's the first paint I ever did after switching to HO. Athearn "BB" Gp-35's in my own Central New England paint(The crews call these "Cheapie 35's", cause management at the time these were painted were to cheap for a nice paint job)

Attachments

• GP-35#76.jpg
    GP-35#76.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 434
  • GP-35#77.jpg
    GP-35#77.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 432

Will_annand

Well, just over a year and a half ago, I got 2 trains sets as birthday gifts.
So here are the two locos:

Attachments

• CVR-01.jpg
    CVR-01.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 360
  • CVR-02.jpg
    CVR-02.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 350

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
My first locomotive was from a Tyco trainset that I got circa 1970. It featured a GREEN Penn Central F9, an assortment of freight cars and a Burlington Road caboose! :) I still have it but I painted it black, gutted the motor and turned the unit into a dummy that now runs in front of a powered Athearn B unit. Its shown here meeting a freight which interestingly enough is led by my most RECENTLY purchased locomotive!

Attachments

• oldest.jpg
    oldest.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 464

Pooh Bah
I'm not sure what would be my first locomotive. I think I had a number of clockwork sets (I seem to remember a Rheingold) then a Hornby clockwork, and a Hornby electric (an 0-4-0 tender loco -- think I still have it) at age 4, then a Lionel hudson (2055) about age 6.5. (That's downstairs somewhere).

Will_annand

Clockwork locomotives... WOW, you are much older than me David :D

Next you are going to tell us they were Hornby serial number 0002 and 0003 :D

Pooh Bah
Sorry, Will, I'm purely postwar. Before age 5, they didn't trust me with electricity.
But I still think coaches look best in lithographed tin.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
My first locomotive was a Union Pacific F7. It since has been repainted to tuscon green and awaiting a body. I don't have a picture yet.

zedob

Barring the early Christmas trainsets, which are long gone and I couldn't tell you what locos were included, the most memorable loco is my first brass one. It is SP #9 with the whaleback oil tender. The motor is mounted in the tender and is coupled to the engine through a surgical tubing universal coupling. It wasn't the best runner, so I planned on installing a can motor, which ended up being put on hold for the last, mmm...20yrs:rolleyes: .

I still have it, in pieces, so it won't make for an interesting pic, but one of these days...:thumb:

Other than that, my newest aquisition is a RH RTR Old Timer I scarffed up on Ebay for $50. Runs nice, but one of the drivers is a little eccentric, so it sways as it runs. I can live with it. It's running now, but I've been SLOWLY detailing it, so it's not in a picture worthy state.

RailRon

I have quite a lot of 'firsts': First loco ever was a clockwork Hornby 0-4-0 (must have been in 1949), later the first electric model train loco: A 'sort of a model' WESA electric loco - no specific proototype. (WESA was a Swiss manufacturer which brought out trains in 1:100 scale - but never had success internationally :( ).
After marriage in 1969 I started model railroading in earnest, in N scale. First loco was a Minitrix 0-6-0 Prussian T3. Later I switched to American prototype. There are no pictures around of all those 'first' lokeys.
When we got our daughter (1974) I had to dismantle my layout. I had to retire into a small room which became my office and recreation room. As I had started scratchbuilding I switched to H0n30" - so I could use up my N scale stuff and I had access to a lot of detailing parts in H0 scale. I went for the Maine two-footers!

So here is my first more or less scratchbuilt engine for my 'Sandy River Northern', the #24 of the SR&RL. As a base I used the chassis, motor and wheels of an N scale ATLAS 0-8-0 (Indiana Harbor Belt loco). I removed the fourth driver axle and added a leading and trailing axle, making her a 2-6-2. The whole superstructure is scratchbuilt. Today she's still sitting on a shelf in my living room, serving sometimes as discussion starter. :D

Ron

Attachments

• Sandy River Northern - #24.jpg
    Sandy River Northern - #24.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 340

lionelfan

My first locomotive is a Lionel #233 Scout 2-4-2 ( I still have it and it still runs on my Christmas layout)

My second locomotive is a Lionel GP-7 in Rio Grande livery.
I then began to model HO with my son, and the first loco is a Athern CSX GP-40 and a CSX SD40-2.

I have recently gotten back into O guage and got a MTH Conrail SD45.

So now we model 2 guages, me in Lionel and my son and I in HO.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Easy one :)

(1) My first locomotive I bought is one of the HO's shown here. The Amtrak or the Santa Fe

(2) The Second one (N Gauge) I have no pics of :(

(3)(4) But the third one (The G gauge when I changed scales) is below. Now it also answeres the question of a ficticious RR, because after I built the layout, i tore the top off the engine & re-built it as the one shown here :) :)

Attachments

• image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 241
  • 020104 012.jpg
    020104 012.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 199

spankybird

OTTS Founder
Here is my first engine. Lionel 671 from 1948. Still runs.

47b5d803b3127cce9225f22f3b0000000016108IZMmrFwxbA

IMGP0141.JPG

In fact, we have the whole set with boxes

IMGP0140.JPG

:thumb: :wave:

CN1

My first HO loco:

attachment.php

Bachman FT. The Bachman Train set :rolleyes: and DCC got me back in the hobby after "dabbling" in it for 2 years a decade ago.

Attachments

• BACHFT.jpg
    BACHFT.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 229

CN1

Was repainted by a friend in NS. Needs details etc.. It's a long term project.
I paid $45.00 for the Bachman train set 4 years ago. I kept the engine (great puller and good slow speed) and tossed away the rest..

attachment.php

Attachments

• BACHFT2.jpg
    BACHFT2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 221
My first was a windup one, probably in 1936 or so, 2nd or 3rd grade. They were 98 cents. I wanted one that would go backward, too. They were electric and $3.99. Too much back then. First new HO was an Atlas RS?? my wife gave me at Christmas, 1986. Still original, and still smooooooth.

Lynn

shaygetz

The Tyco 4 wheel Birney trolley from the mid 60s followed by the AHM 4-4-0 Genoa ran around my Christmas tree all thru my childhood and would have to be credited with being the ones to intraduce to the hobby. Sadly, these aren't the originals, the trolley having succumbed to the rigors of playground fun :rolleyes: and the Genoa the victim of many of my hobby firsts including weathering and redetailing. I don't know its fate after 1978 as it was over a friend's house on his layout then.

The Athearn Hustler was my first locomotive purchase when I stepped over from N to HO in 1992. Extensively redetailed, remotored and DCC equipped, it is the classic example of the 100 year old ax that's had it's head replaced 4 times and its handle 3 times.

The juicejack was my first loco scratchbuild and, at the behest of my beloved, will never see a coat of paint.

Attachments

• first.jpg
    first.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 195
  • first1.JPG
    first1.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 197
  • juicejack.JPG
    juicejack.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 229