What does your first locomotive look like?

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by MilesWestern, Dec 20, 2005.

1. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Post a picture (If you Can), of your first locomotive here.

This may include:

1. Your First locomotive EVER.
    2. Your first New locomotive after you took a "break" from the hobby.
    3. Your first locomotive that you bought in a new scale (say that you switched from HO to N, show the N scale loco.)
    4. Finally if you have a ficticious road, show the first one to be adorned in your very own paint scheme.)

Can't wait to see 'em!
  2. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Here's the first paint I ever did after switching to HO. Athearn "BB" Gp-35's in my own Central New England paint(The crews call these "Cheapie 35's", cause management at the time these were painted were to cheap for a nice paint job)

Attached Files:

3. Marxed

Marxed Member

4. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

Oh jeh,

my first engine I ever got is this one from Fleischmann in Germany:

It was together with some cars in a starter pack. I think I was 10 years old and it was the best Christmas ever. Much more were following in the next 10 years. From 1993 till 2004 I had small break in byuing rail road stuff, I don't know why[​IMG]

After a break in the hobby I bought my first US diesel here in Claifornia. I think it was an Athearn GP38 or so.
  5. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Well, just over a year and a half ago, I got 2 trains sets as birthday gifts.
    So here are the two locos:

Attached Files:

6. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

My first locomotive was from a Tyco trainset that I got circa 1970. It featured a GREEN Penn Central F9, an assortment of freight cars and a Burlington Road caboose! :) I still have it but I painted it black, gutted the motor and turned the unit into a dummy that now runs in front of a powered Athearn B unit. Its shown here meeting a freight which interestingly enough is led by my most RECENTLY purchased locomotive!

Attached Files:

7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I'm not sure what would be my first locomotive. I think I had a number of clockwork sets (I seem to remember a Rheingold) then a Hornby clockwork, and a Hornby electric (an 0-4-0 tender loco -- think I still have it) at age 4, then a Lionel hudson (2055) about age 6.5. (That's downstairs somewhere).
  8. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Clockwork locomotives... WOW, you are much older than me David :D

Next you are going to tell us they were Hornby serial number 0002 and 0003 :D
  9. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Sorry, Will, I'm purely postwar. Before age 5, they didn't trust me with electricity.
    But I still think coaches look best in lithographed tin.
  10. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

My first locomotive was a Union Pacific F7. It since has been repainted to tuscon green and awaiting a body. I don't have a picture yet.
  11. zedob

zedob Member

Barring the early Christmas trainsets, which are long gone and I couldn't tell you what locos were included, the most memorable loco is my first brass one. It is SP #9 with the whaleback oil tender. The motor is mounted in the tender and is coupled to the engine through a surgical tubing universal coupling. It wasn't the best runner, so I planned on installing a can motor, which ended up being put on hold for the last, mmm...20yrs:rolleyes: .

I still have it, in pieces, so it won't make for an interesting pic, but one of these days...:thumb:

Other than that, my newest aquisition is a RH RTR Old Timer I scarffed up on Ebay for $50. Runs nice, but one of the drivers is a little eccentric, so it sways as it runs. I can live with it. It's running now, but I've been SLOWLY detailing it, so it's not in a picture worthy state.
  12. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

hey Marxed, what happened to your picture?
  13. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

I have quite a lot of 'firsts': First loco ever was a clockwork Hornby 0-4-0 (must have been in 1949), later the first electric model train loco: A 'sort of a model' WESA electric loco - no specific proototype. (WESA was a Swiss manufacturer which brought out trains in 1:100 scale - but never had success internationally :( ).
    After marriage in 1969 I started model railroading in earnest, in N scale. First loco was a Minitrix 0-6-0 Prussian T3. Later I switched to American prototype. There are no pictures around of all those 'first' lokeys.
    When we got our daughter (1974) I had to dismantle my layout. I had to retire into a small room which became my office and recreation room. As I had started scratchbuilding I switched to H0n30" - so I could use up my N scale stuff and I had access to a lot of detailing parts in H0 scale. I went for the Maine two-footers!

So here is my first more or less scratchbuilt engine for my 'Sandy River Northern', the #24 of the SR&RL. As a base I used the chassis, motor and wheels of an N scale ATLAS 0-8-0 (Indiana Harbor Belt loco). I removed the fourth driver axle and added a leading and trailing axle, making her a 2-6-2. The whole superstructure is scratchbuilt. Today she's still sitting on a shelf in my living room, serving sometimes as discussion starter. :D

Attached Files:

14. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Thats cool Ron.
    Sounds like something a real railroad would do.
  15. lionelfan

lionelfan Member

My first locomotive is a Lionel #233 Scout 2-4-2 ( I still have it and it still runs on my Christmas layout)

My second locomotive is a Lionel GP-7 in Rio Grande livery.
    I then began to model HO with my son, and the first loco is a Athern CSX GP-40 and a CSX SD40-2.

I have recently gotten back into O guage and got a MTH Conrail SD45.

So now we model 2 guages, me in Lionel and my son and I in HO.
  16. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Easy one :)

(1) My first locomotive I bought is one of the HO's shown here. The Amtrak or the Santa Fe

(2) The Second one (N Gauge) I have no pics of :(

(3)(4) But the third one (The G gauge when I changed scales) is below. Now it also answeres the question of a ficticious RR, because after I built the layout, i tore the top off the engine & re-built it as the one shown here :) :)

Attached Files:

17. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Here is my first engine. Lionel 671 from 1948. Still runs.

In fact, we have the whole set with boxes

:thumb: :wave:
  18. CN1

CN1 Active Member

My first HO loco:

Bachman FT. The Bachman Train set :rolleyes: and DCC got me back in the hobby after "dabbling" in it for 2 years a decade ago.

Attached Files:

19. CN1

CN1 Active Member

Was repainted by a friend in NS. Needs details etc.. It's a long term project.
    I paid $45.00 for the Bachman train set 4 years ago. I kept the engine (great puller and good slow speed) and tossed away the rest..

Attached Files:

20. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

My first was a windup one, probably in 1936 or so, 2nd or 3rd grade. They were 98 cents. I wanted one that would go backward, too. They were electric and $3.99. Too much back then. First new HO was an Atlas RS?? my wife gave me at Christmas, 1986. Still original, and still smooooooth.