What do you use to clean your locos wheels

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
I was just wondering what methods everbody else used to clean their loco's wheels. I use a foam makeup pad soaked in track cleaner. Next I take the loco and put it half on the track and half on the pad after the first half is done I do the other half.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
On the DCC equipped club layout, we soak a paper towel laid across the track with rubbing alcohol then notch up the throttle as we run the front then the rear trucks of our deisels over it. Works really well, too. On steamers and DC I go with rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip.

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
shaygetz said:
On the DCC equipped club layout, we soak a paper towel laid across the track with rubbing alcohol then notch up the throttle as we run the front then the rear trucks of our deisels over it. Works really well, too. On steamers and DC I go with rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip.
I do the rubbing alchohol ang q tip as well

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I've got an N scale one and it works great however the guys at the club say that it could actually scratch my wheels thus making my problem worse over time.

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
I actually take the engine to be cleaned off the track completely and turn it over in the plastic box it came in . Then using an old transformer and some wires to the brass cpntacters under the engine I give it some power so that the wheels turn. Then I very lightly use a rasor blade to scrape the dirt off the wheels as they spin. A quick wipe with Goo Gone on a piece of paper towel and they wheels are clean.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I use one of the following: Goo Gone, Aero Loco Works track cleaner; denatured alcohol. usually try any of the above. I've also used a Q-tip soaked in one of the above. I've also applied a small flat screwdriver to the tread to get rid of stubborn stains.
If your loco wheels are dirty, so are your car wheels. For these I usually put a paper towel over a spare track. dribble some solution on it, and run the car back and forth. When the paper towel has a pair of black streaks on it, I shift it sideways. I often have a second towel in case the wheels run off the soaked one.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Aero Loco Works track cleaner

Goo Gone is great for removing pricetags from plastic, or for removing any other label adhesive.
Aero loco works ACT-6006 is far better for track, and wheel cleaning.
It took my club almost two weeks to get rid of the "Goo Gone Residue", so we could operate trains again. The Centerline track cleaners work so much better with ACT-6006....and so do the trains.
Pete

n2trains

Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
I use one of the minitrix brass brush cleaners that you set on the tracks. I have found it to work VERY well, and over the period of about 2 years of constant cleaning (during the construction phase of a layout we ended up scrapping), no harm to any wheels or anything. Kato, Life-Like, spectrum, Bachmann, etc locos

oleirish

Nov 6, 2005
Central Point,oregon
clean wheels

Jim Krause said:
I use the electrified brass brushes that are sold commercially. The ones that clip to the rails.

:thumb: :D Same here an electral brush sold I think by Kde,it works on both N and HO
I love it!!!!!!announce1