What do you use for fascias?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by mistressmotorsp, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Im getting to the point where I'm ready to cover the exposed foam edges on my layout. I see lots of pictures with nice, thin fascias. Some of it is even bent to follow the cruves of the layout. I don't need to bend anythng since I have all 90 degree corners. I do want something thin and lightweight. What works well? Thanks for any help.

2. nachoman

nachoman Guest

You could get 3/16" masonite hardboard from your local home center.

3. mcbane666

mcbane666 Member

second that
  4. Thanks, I will go pick some up.
  5. mummert

mummert Member

I have not yet got this far with my layout yet but I have been thinking about making mine look like a rock face. I kind of thought it would look like the layout was cut out of the ground. Not really what you were looking for but just an idea.
  6. mcbane666

mcbane666 Member

If your layout is going to be out in the open, and in a high traffic area of your house, you can use stained wood on the visible sides, you'll need a jigsaw to cut out the pattern, but in the end it will look alot better. but if it's just in a basement, then it doesn't matter
  7. SD90

SD90 Active Member

That's what I use also.
  8. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

Yup. Masonite, and then paint with FleckStone spray:

Attached Files:

9. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

That's pretty cool looking Squid!
  10. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

Thanks Tetters, but I can't take credit for it... it's my friend's layout... although a bunch of us have been using it on layouts for almost 15 years now... :eek: I can't believe we've been at it that long!!! :eek:
  11. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

I had very good luck using plain old 1/2" drywall. It's easy to finish, and the plaster scenery gauze sticks to it very well.