What do you think would have happened if the PRR had not Merged with the NYC?

dmb3006

May 22, 2002
central new york
Visit site
I wish the merger could have been avoided.My Father was a NYC employee in the car department at Dewitt Yard In East Syracuse NY. It seems that a lot of the better equipment was transfered to the PRR. The PRR management seemed to treat employee's quite differently than the NYC. The Interstate Highway system,and the Airlines passenger business was the death of these two once great Railroads.Even more so was the head long rush of management to sell off right away and valuable properties.Years of ICC control of railroads that forced them to operate trains to areas where there was hardly any business was just as harmful.The main lines went the same places once out of the states of NY & PA . The way the companies operated was so different and the attitude toward each other so hostile Green team va Red team I don't think the merger ever had a chance :cool:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
What, no Penn Central!?!!! Horrors!!!! :D Well, even though I'm a fan and modeller who grew up with the PC, the merger was a disaster. Too much redundancy in track routes, terrible relations between the two roads, bad investments that took money for the railroad, the ICC's insistance that the broke New Haven be part of the system, etc. etc., etc.!

SD-40 helpers? Cool! :)
Ralph

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I think that it was a very big mistake that they did merge because look what happened to them. They are not around anymore. I think that if they did not merge they would still be around to this day. I am the webmaster for the Independent Live Steamers. We are a group of people that are keeping the Pennsylvania alive here in pennsylvania. So no matter how you look at it the Pennsylvania will live forever.

The address for the website is:
http://www.geocities.com/miller68_69/ilsn1.html

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
As I understand it the PC merger was proposed because both the NYC and Pennsy were having financial woes. Maybe if they hadn't merged one or both of the roads might have eventually merged with some one else? Pennsy/C&O maybe?

Despite just missing the NYC and Pennsy years as a young rail fan I really enjoy seeing Pennsylvania power and rolling stock. Best wishes with your preservation efforts!

Ralph

The image is by Josh Moldover, but the paint scheme is mine. :)
This is what should have happened.

ac4400cw.gif

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Roger that is an excellent vision of alternative reality! I LIKE it!!! Really, virtually every piece of equipment on rails would look good in that NYC lightning stripe scheme! Neat idea! I wonder what else might contribute to the 21st century NYC look?
Ralph

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
I hate to burst your collective bubble, but even if Penn Central hadn't been created in 1968 the PRR, NYC, and NYNH&H would cease still cease to exist today. All three, although very shaky financially, had prime routes that were coveted by other railroads. The PRR probably would have ended up with the N&W and the NYC probably would have ended up with the C&O. (Of course, that totally kills some of the other mergers of the last few decades and would have definately changed railroading as we know it today.) Given the course of things leading up to and after the Penn Central merger those would be the most logical conclusions.

Remember, too, that the original plan by the USRA called for two seperat federally funded railroads in the Northeast. The Penn Central was going to operate as it was and all the other smaller roads (E-L, CNJ, LV, Reading, PRSL) were to be merged together with one of the Penn Central lines to St. Louis. This would've created two competing systems in the Northeast and at the time given hope for future competition in the region. This plan failed, of course, when the E-L chose to remain independent and not be included in Conrail at first, only ending up in it at the last minute after its final bankruptcy.