what do you think of the"rough draft"for my paper mill?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by txronharris, Mar 5, 2005.

1. txronharris

txronharris New Member

So here are some pictures of what I've come up with for my papermill on my layout. The first two are the trackplan:

The front siding is two feet long and will hold five woodchip cars(they were the longest cars I'll use, so figured that was a good reference point).

The next couple are "roughed in" buildings with boxes and things:
    This picture shows the mainline which will let me use two geeps and one car, the wood chip and pulpwood unloading tracks which will hold 6 woodchip cars (the rag is where the woodchip piles will be), and the covered hopper/chemical track which holds 2 covered hoppers.

The middle photo shows the tank car unloading(two cars), the large box is the main mill w/truck unloading.

The final picture is the boxcar loading/unloading tracks with a storage building on the far right for finished product.

The whole thing is 4ft long by 2 1/2 ft wide. Everything flows from the left t the right. I'll be operating it as a switching layout untill I get a new job and can afford the main portion of the layout. Hopefully, this was clear as mud :) . I'm no good with the trackplanning programs and always end up with more track than space. What do you guys think?
  2. Bikerdad

Bikerdad Member

It looks good, one thing you might want to do is make sure when you lay it that the "mainline" track is always on the "through leg" rather than diverging leg of the switches. The second turnout (counting on the mainline from left to right) uses the diverging leg.

BTW, I didn't know that paper mills used Krylon towers. :thumb:
  3. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Nice, how long until its done?
  4. txronharris

txronharris New Member

Thank you for that observation Bikerdad, I'll take care of that.

Livesteam, I've got all the Peco code 55 turnouts and track I need to do it, so I'll start officially laying track the first of the week unless someone comes up with a glaring omission on my part in the trackplan. I'll be using Z scale cork on the mainline (it's a branchline) and laying the track directly on the homasote for the sidings. I should have it laid down and wired up within the next 10 days or so. The buildings will be another story. I'm still kicking around a combination of DPM walls and some other kits I have laying around for the mill itself. I've got two old plastruct refinery kits I'm going to use for the piping. I'll get things laid and running well first before I go that far though. I'm going to use a small fiddle yard for staging.
  5. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

Papermill locally here has a small dedicated yard(2 tracks aproximately 1/2 mile long)
    They have a spur for unloading chemical tank cars, 2 spurs for shipping and recieving of box cars and 2 additional spurs for Inbound flats of pulpwood.This is what i recall off hand and there is probobly more.This mill is hydro powered so has no lead to the power plant,however a power plant would require a lead otherwise for coal delivery(or alternative fuel).
    This Mill specializes in Coated paper so see's quite a bit of tank car activity.Most of the pulpwood(90% + ) is trucked in from local loggers.They have a log starage area that is aprox 1/3 mile wide by 1.25 miles long and when its full you wonder how we have any trees left in the woods at all :)
  6. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

I am looking forward to seeing how your paper mill turns out TH because both SD90 and I are building paper mills too. Together we can be of help to each other.
  7. txronharris

txronharris New Member

Thanks Matthyro. I've been following SD90's layout since he started posting pictures. Mike's definately got a show stopper there. I've made some of the suggested changes and I'll take pictures of my progress and post them. Since my wife's from Calgary, I'm hoping to visit that way before too long and you can bet I'll be hitting all you guys up there up for layout tours!