What do you read?

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
I've been trying to add fictional and nonfictional accounts of railroading to my reading list. I haven't been as successful at the library as I'd hoped. I did find a selection of short stories from the Depression era that was interesting. I heard about a novel called "Foamers" that I believe is a mystery set with railroading in the background, and I have read a facinating yet disturbing book called "The Drift" about a guy riding the rails after he has a psychotic breakdown. That one is gritty but it painted a pretty satisfying portrait of the modern day railrider.

Anyone have suggestions for books written by railroaders?
Ralph

In my collection I have
The new collected works of Prose and Poetry of Iowa Blackie
Done and Been Steel Rail Chronicles of American Hobos
Tales of the Iron Road "My life as King of the Hobos" Steam Train Maury Graham
The Way of the Hobos by A-NO1< who traveled 5000,000 miles on $7.61
A History of Hobos Tramps and other Vagabonds by Steam Train Maury
"Hobo" Eddy Joe Cotton
Rolling Nowhere " A young mans Adventures riding the rails with Americas Hoboes.
"Fishbones" National King of the Hobos
One more train to Ride" The Underground World of Modern American Hobos"
"Hoboes" Wandering in America 1870-1940
If you hadnt guessed I have a fasitionation with the Hobos and only read the true life stories dont want no made up stuff . That and MRR every month Ebay is good Hobo books and other Reading matirial...

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
:mrgreen:
I've been trying to add fictional and nonfictional accounts of railroading to my reading list. I haven't been as successful at the library as I'd hoped. I did find a selection of short stories from the Depression era that was interesting. I heard about a novel called "Foamers" that I believe is a mystery set with railroading in the background, and I have read a facinating yet disturbing book called "The Drift" about a guy riding the rails after he has a psychotic breakdown. That one is gritty but it painted a pretty satisfying portrait of the modern day railrider.

Anyone have suggestions for books written by railroaders?
Ralph

A frien of mine I worked with at Amtrak wrote a good collection of short stories he was involved in as a Conductor for Missouri Pacific and for Amtrak. I was his brakeman in one of them. Check it out here: A Conductor tells... "Unauthorized Train Stories" By; Ken Lothridge

(I built his site, tell them Tom sent ya if you buy one :thumb:).