What do you listen to when modeling/running trains?

Jac's Lines

I was thinking about this today while driving my wife nuts singing along with Johnny Cash and doing some landscape work. :thumb: I often listen to a special mix CD I made up of Johnny Cash songs (all obtained legally, thank you) when I'm working on the layout, all of the songs are about trains:

Hey Porter, Rock Island Line, Wreck of the Old 97, Folsom Prison Blues, Orange Blossom Special, Casey Jones, Wabash Cannonball, Slow Rider, John Henry’s Hammer, Waiting for a Train, City of New Orleans.

I know, burning a special Johnny Cash railroad CD qualifies me for the dork of the month award, but it's a cool listen.

So, what CDs, tapes, etc. do you guys listen to?

nolatron

I usually put itunes on shuffle, so I'll hear anything from ELO & The Monkees to Metallica, The Cure, and Hooverphonic. :D

Very cool. Unfortuantely, I'm not lucky enough to have an Ipod!

I usually turn the nearby TV onto "Party Favorites" music channel. Or listen to a CD with various railroad songs on it. Heck, even sometimes local radio stations (like 93.3 WFLZ, the Hit Music Channel). It depends on my mood.

Sometimes--and I know we all do it--we turn everything off just to hear the trains themselves run!!! :D

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I listen to a smooth jazz FM radio sation. I would prefer blues or bluegrass but no radio station here plays them so I sometimes listen to tapes. Now thats old tech isn't it.

Will_annand

I listen to Jazz Masters, a digital cable music station.

Robin, which station do you listed to?
Jazz-FM used to be my favorite when I lived down south.

ausien

Well me, I try NOT to listen to the wife yell at or for me, as I modle to get some peice and quite.... shhhhhh, dont tell her that thou...have a good one..steve

happy listening.....

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I listen to Country Music when i am fixing and painting my rolling stock & engines. What can i say, when you grew up listening to country music you tend to grow to it and like it as i do. :D :D

:thumb: Jac's...I hate to disillusion you, but back in 1990 I was driving down the steep side of Mount Eagle in Tenn. heading toward Chatanooga when this
large custom made bus (one of two that he owns) passed me, followed by a large custom moving van with J.C. on the side. I knew it didn't stand for "Jesus Christ" so I asked and sure enough, He was on board. I asked him, "what with all the train songs that he sang, how come he wasn't riding in a custom made railroad car instead of a bus"? He said that he couldn't ride on a train because he got motion sickness. Now isn't that the pitts.

Dick
Texas Chief

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Classical, or movie soundtracks. I save "Also spracht Zarathustra" for the moment the finishing touch has been applied. :D :D

Iron Goat

My favorite CD is one I put together myself... with train songs by Merle Haggard, Arlo Guthrie, C W McCall, etc. Most of the individual sound tracks all have "train sounds" in the background (it really get's me in the mood). My favorite ones seem to be the ones that are the least well known: the Gallopin' Goose; the Silverton Train; and the Miners Ghost Train # 41

Bob :wave:

shaygetz

I tried workin' to Contemporary Christian music but my inner Old Line Baptist started stabbing me in the ear with an Xacto knife. Now I do my modelin' to a classic rock station---at least I know where they're coming from :rolleyes:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
sumpter250 said:
. I save "Also spracht Zarathustra" for the moment the finishing touch has been applied. :D :D

That's hillarious! I love it! How about "Theme for the Common Man" while you're working toward that goal? :)

Ralph