What do you guys think of these CVs?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by simmonds, Feb 26, 2007.

1. simmonds

simmonds Member

I see these on eBay which seem to be done really well. Although I see you can at times buy them in unrestored, scratched and possibly needing repair condition for between 10 and 40 dollars, these seem to be done with quality work and done really well. You can get them 'buy it now' for between 89 and 129 dollars. At first glance the price seems a little high but the work looks first rate and his feedback is fabulous. This picture is just one example but I have seen his work in many other road names all very beautiful. Some with shiny restored chrome front ends. WOW!

Attached Files:

• cv1.jpg
      File size:
      61.5 KB
    • cv2.jpg
      File size:
      60 KB
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Who's the seller?
    I've been watching a few custom painters on there.
    Over $50 would be a little high for just the engine but when you add in the custom painting and restoration time, $130 doesn't seem so bad.
  3. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Looks like the work of walaw1946 to me. Am I right?

With a locomotive like these, you're paying for the labor, since the book value on a restored CV is about $60. So keep in mind if you buy it, you may not be able to get your money back out of it. I never plan on selling anything I buy but there've been times I've had to do it, so I always keep that in the back of my mind.

Also keep in mind that at $140, you're moving into the cost of new Marx by Ameritrains, and the modern production model might very well be a better locomotive. It'll probably pull better and it'll run better on modern track systems.

Of course, there are much worse ways to spend $140 too, but I assume you were looking for the drawbacks. Those are the only drawbacks I can think of.
  4. simmonds

simmonds Member

The seller goes by the eBay id of old.marx.restored.new

He seems to also have a hobby shop by the name of Harts Hobby Shoppe.

His listing is currently active on ebay if you do a search for marx commodore vanderbilt. considering the locomotive is probably worth 60 dollars and he must put an hour or two into the painting and applying his custum decals and graphics, polishing and replaceing parts as needed, this seems like a heck of a deal. Especially the Denver and Rio Grande one I saw that sold for 99 dollars 'buy it now'. Just seems like a good deal to me...yet I have never yet clicked that 'buy it now' button and still hesitate to do so. Besides, money doesnt grow on trees in my household.
  5. simmonds

simmonds Member

Ooops! Nevermind, that one just sold. Someone purchased it 'buy it now'. He sells those things all the time so alot of people seem to like them. If you search ebay for commodore vanderbilt and then check the 'completed auctions' box on the left then hit 'enter', you will see lots of these cv sold by him.
  6. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Sweet restoration, if you can call it that. Since it is an original paint scheme for those engines and tenders. Regardless, very tempting. Sure glad I'm broke and not wanting to get into another facet of the hobby. :D

7. Cannonball

Wow..... Both those guys make me want to sell everything and start buying their stuff.
    I wonder what one of them would charge just to do a restoration and custom paint if you sent them the engine..... I might e-mail 'em and ask.
  8. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I think the key is do you want it, once you can answer this then price is subjective. Since buying trains for investment is not a wise decision the only key part is how much you want that particular train.

So if you like them then buy them, you certainly will own a one of a kind item or at the least a limited production item. Then again you can buy the cheap ones and try to improve your skills to make copies. Any way you look at it if you enjoy this hobby you should have fun either way.
  9. Marxed

Marxed Member

it's nice work, but it's not original, i would rather have the untouched CV than that... just think of all the CV's lost to this!!

and in all honestly, marx would have never made anything like that, and the color theme isn't that pretty....
  10. Cannonball

For me it would depend on how bad the condition of the loco was in the first place. If it's rusty and dusty with paint scratched off, I see nothing wrong with a new paint job. Marx is never going to have the collector's value of Lionel so you might as well fix it up a little bit and make it shine. Not much different than hotrodding an old '57 Chevy or making a slick new chopper from an old Harley.

As far as your taste on the colors, it's OK if you don't like them. Not everybody has to. That's why it's called "custom" paint. Heck, the next guy down the road may strip that baby down and paint it pink and purple for his daughter. To each their own. ;)