What do you get when you mix paper and fireworks?

Discussion in 'Extended Mediums' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Okay, minor update:

I decided to gather all my forces and get a group photo, as I have added a few more ships to my fleet.

[​IMG]

This fleet is more rag-tag than the Battlestar Galactica fleet. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
  2. saiyagohan

saiyagohan New Member

Nice Fleet:thumb: So it has been awhile, how did this play out?
  3. Gyzmo

Gyzmo New Member

Wow, this is an incredible use for ship models!

Can't wait to see how the battle plays out...

However, I must admit to some confusion: how exactly does the battle take place? Do you light your fireworks and throw them at the ships on the ground, or (in the case of the mini-fountain) are they mounted turret-like on the side of the ship? Clarification would be great so I could start doing this too!
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

Woah, yeah it *has* been a while! I completely forgot about the thread. :rolleyes:

Saiyagohan, it went well, I think. I only lost a few ships thanks to my Eclipse. But unfortunately I forgot to activate the gravity well projectors, which would have slowed the ships and prevented warp and hyperspace microjumps, so the Cube came up next to my SSD and pounded the heck out of her. The superlaser firing aperature took a few shots before it was destroyed. But the good news is that it survived not one, but two salvoes from that Cube before I had to jump away for repairs! Then the rest of the fleet finished it off with long-range bombing and nuke strikes. That Cube was practically solid currogated cardboard, which made for some interesting fires which would not die! He ended up having to throw snow on it to keep it from catching the other ships on fire.

After that little skirmish(!) my opponent unleashed a Borg super-weapon, which transported nanoprobes onto a couple of my ships, forcing me to self-destruct them. But the last one to self-destruct, the Battlestar Valkyrie, jumped into the throat of the monster and blew up, causing a chain-reaction in the ship which destroyed it.

Losses:

Battlestar Defender
    Battlestar Valkyrie
    Tholian Webspinner
    Nebulon-B Frigate
    Imperator class carrier
    Multi-gun corvette
    USS Reliant
    Most of the custom ships

Enemy losses(entire fleet):
    Borg Cube
    Borg Nano-ship

I wish I had some pics to put up, but they mostly turned out pretty over-exposed due to my camera frakking up on me. :curse: If anyone wants to help clean them up with Photoshop, be my guest!!

Gyzmo, here's basically how it works. Say there are two ships, a Battlestar and a Cube. They both have similar ranges, which usually rounds to six feet. So you take a six-sided die and roll it against the distance in feet from the enemy ship. If it gets that number or above it's a hit and you get to place a firecracker, mini-fountain, etc., anywhere on the enemy ship you want. After all weapons are expended on one ship the other ship gets to fire it's weapons. If the ship that was fired upon first gets destroyed before all shots are expended, the destroyed ship doesn't get to fire.

Ships are assigned a certain number of weapons. They can be almost any number, but most ships have an average of 20. I take stats from the internet to get the weapon counts for most ships, like the ISD:

Imperial Star Destroyer mk 1

Turbolasers: 60
    Heavy Turbolasers: 6
    Ion Cannons: 60
    Heavy Ion Cannons: 2
    Tractor Beam Projectors: 4

Some I have to make up either because there are no listed stats or the ship is of my own invention. Like the Tholian Webspinner. I assume it has five omni-directional disruptor cannons.

Here are the weapon types and their equivalent firecracker:

Turbolaser Cannon, Laser Cannon, Phaser, Pulse Phaser, Earth Lasers(Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation).

- - -Black Cats, or equivalent(Mad Dogs, etc.)

Heavy Turbolaser Cannon, Photon Torpedo, Quantum Torpedo, Proton Torpedo, Concussion Missile, Borg light weapons

- - -M-1000 Firecracker, or equivalent

Turbolaser Battery, Disruptor Cannon, Borg cutter-beam, small ship jumping to FTL speeds for ramming

- - -Mini-fountain

Superlaser, large ship jumping to FTL speeds for ramming

- - -Blow-torch or large fountain.

Armor classes are based upon how much material goes into construction and how dense it is. The only rule on this is that only paper products are allowed, or light wood(toothpicks and tongue-depressors).

My Eclipse SSD had five layers of posterboard for it's outer hull, a structure of foamcore, and MDF and heavy chipboard for the internal armor. The internal armor saved it from being sawn in half by the Borg weapons and allowed it to heavily damage the Cube.

As far as speed goes, the smaller ships generally are faster. The Defiant class for instance has a top speed of about 14 inches per turn, while the monstrous Eclipse can barely shuffle two inches per turn. It helps to get a cheap ruler to use, but you can go by eye if you wish, which is how we do it.
  5. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

I can try to clean the pics up for you, just dump em in my email. I can do batch-jobs on them.

also where did you get the neb-b frigate?
  6. Millenniumfalsehood

The Nebulon-B was from Sprintx's page. It was one of the first models he unfolded, and I didn't hesitate to snatch it up. It had been on my shelf for quite some time, but it really needed reinforcements on the inside as the neck kept snapping off the head and engines. Since it wouldn't have been worth the trouble to fix, I decided to add it to my fleet and make another one later, probably half the size of the first one.

I'll send you the pics, too. Thanks for the offer!
  7. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

please the basestar?
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

You might try asking Paragon; IIRC he found a way to convert a truly awful Basestar model into a thing of beauty, and I followed his instructions to the letter.
  9. firebat

firebat New Member

where did you get the battlestar galactica big models?

i'm interested in thos nice models
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

I got the old series Galactica off of Gearz's site, which I can't find right this moment. I'm sure if you Google around it'll turn up. The new series Galactica ships I got from Jaybat's site, which I'm *also* unable to find. Finally, as I said before, the Cylon Basestar I got from Paragon's site. :thumb:

I was going to have another war this New Years, but unfortunately the family decided to meet way down in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and my friend shipped out on Saturday morning, so I had no time to have a battle. Shoot. Well, I suppose there's always next leave. :roll:
  11. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

12. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

Forgot to add that the rag tag fleet is still in the download section on the zealot main page. These are from when some members got together and decided to expand the BSG new series ships.
  13. gleasure

gleasure Member

So...

What about the "Doomsday Machine" from TOS Trek?

Make it out of a few concrete forms (BIG cardboard tubes), that oughta last a few turns... :mrgreen:

Thanks for the laughs!

gleasure
  14. istvan700

istvan700 New Member

Nice fleet.