What do you do...

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Wolfshead57, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Wolfshead57

Wolfshead57 Member

Just a thought, what do you all do with your completed models. I have only just completed my first one and started on the battlehurst for my second. So I got to thinking what shall i do with them when i am finished.

First thing i will do is photograph them and maybe start up a digital libary, that way I can always look back and have a record of how my skills have improved over time and the wife dosnt nag me about having bits of paper all over the place.

So out of interest tell me and the world what you do with yours.
  2. Kaz

Kaz Member

I keep the good ones, (two or three) the rest I take to worlk and give to the youngsters
  3. GT5500

GT5500 Member

This is a big dilema for me as well, since I still live at home I have very little space to store my models. But even the bad ones have a sort of sentimental value and its hard to part with them.
  4. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I have a REAL problem with this. I have Many models downloaded. Some i have printed to build some are printed on regular paper to see want they look like.
    I have built 2 so far. I have 2 OLD ones i built 25+ years ago.(1 I have to find)
    Ans 1 that was given to me for help in their moving.{(Large L1011 Delta airlines)hanging in my bedroom}
    But I also build and collect palstic and Diecast..... I have over 1000!!!! cars in 1/24-5 scale, so where to put them/what to do with them is a BIG problem.

At least with paper models I can always print a new copy if the first is damaged or lost--(Not so easy with out-of-production plastic or diecast)
  5. 46rob

46rob Member

a bit over 100 hang from the ceiling in my work room...a few of the latest I'm designing sit around my computer. Once they're published I give them to the nieghborhood kids, keeping one for the ceiling.
  6. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

A related thread I started was to look for modelists that had their work on museums and other public places. It seems that only 2 or 3 have them there.
    So, some ideas occurred to me to look for a good house to display them.

The local airport, University, museum. You can suggest each location's authorities about displaying models, you can set up a corner there. But you have to set it up and maintain it.

For me, I have the good luck to have a new local museum in town with the goal to be a Air & Space museum. They are accepting my models. AND besides, I'm promoting the paper modeling hobby there with brochures and, in the near future, talks and workshops to visitors (of course, I'll be attached to the international copyright laws). :twisted:

I have a few at work, but the desk is becoming extremely small!! :cry:

So you can build models, if they seem to be Beta versions, give them away. But if you are really proud of your "production" models... start searching for more options in your city. Or other cities! :roll:

Oh, and since you are thinking in photographing your models, please share them to the world (you can use free services like imagestation.com, snapfish.com, photobucket.com... many member have other services like these). Or you can create a video and share it in youtube.com (check mine here of the Millennium Falcon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIsO8NKe8es).
    And the Concorde model video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBIEbk1IL2Y
  7. My wife makes furniture, she made a beautifull showcase for my models...but that one is full now, so the rest is in two IKEA showcases (very cheap, all glass only 39€)
    Cheers, Billy
  8. Wolfshead57

Wolfshead57 Member

Loved the Utube thingy, thanks Milenio3. Have you seen the Paper Dragon on there, its one of those hollow head illusions but well done.
    Anyway food for thought.

Keep them coming Guys and Gals
  9. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I've put in a exhibition proposal to an art gallery. I photograph the models and do digital montage and plan to display both. Hopefully, I will sell some, but I mostly want to get my work out to the public.
    I start work next week so I'm trying to get as much of the model building done so that they will be ready to go if the gallery accepts my proposal.

10. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Thank you Wolfshead. Funny thing the Dragon there.

Lizzie good luck on your exhibition! Don't forget to let us know!
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Here is the dragon..............

It really works great.

Attached Files: