What do you do?

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by ezdays, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Mike Hamer

Mike Hamer New Member

I'm a school teacher and have been for over 25 years. In fact, my class made a layout to commemorate Canada's 125th birthday back in 1992 and that's how I got my start in model railroading. Our layout was good enough to make Model Railroader in their July 1994 issue. We called our article "Trains 101"!

I'm also married with two daughters. My wife is Lisa and my daughters Karen and Alison are both in university.
    When I'm not in my train room, you can find me in the garden or playing the piano or guitar!
  2. Harold Cole

Harold Cole Member

I've been an Electrician all my life.I'am currently working at Amtrak as a Substation Electrician, as a forman in the E.T. Dept,we maintain all the electricial equipment in the yards.Currently i'am running a gang that installs new equipment in the yards and along the right of way.I've been with them over 29 years.
  3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

So basicaly, you're wiring a "real" trrain layout... :D :D

2 of my friends used to work for PRR & Conrail...., 1 used to work out of 12th st and 1 out of Enola :) To neat!!
  4. rtbaron

rtbaron New Member

High School teacher for the last 31 years. Industrial Arts/Technology
  5. Evan

Evan Member

Work: IT Manager

Hi all,

Been in computers most of my working life. I spent two years backpacking around Europe. Have worked mainly in support departments for PC related companies (AutoCad support, ISP support etc). Now running the IT department for national company that's branded as "Human Empowerment". We do various things, such as selling Videos (the teaching type videos, such as "Fish!").

At home, have a daughter and wife, who keep me busy. Try to spend as much time as possible on hobbies, but they have other ideas. :)
  6. Harold Cole

Harold Cole Member

LOL,it's a real big Train Sey without DCC.
  7. trainman4

trainman4 Member

I'm retired from the Philly gas works because i had a stroke at age 51.buy i'm still alive and kicking.I tinker in N&Z Scale .I don't model any particular era i'm just in it for the fun.I have a 12x9 l shaped layout i run steam&diesel in the Sooline.I'm glad i found this group i enjoy reading the posts.Well that's all folks.
  8. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

Welcome aboard trainman4 !!!!
  9. wickman

wickman Member

10. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

WOW!!! :eek: Wickman, stunning candles!!! :thumb: I espically like the waterfall with the deer, and the ordemental box candles, just WOW! :)

Only thing is he olf problem with the internet, no scaces in the url, so you've the old problem in the fact that "of" and "art" might become a problem if combined! :D

Great stuff, my mom would love it!
  11. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Glad to see this thread get bumped, :wave: it's really neat to learn what your fellow Gauger does, or used to do...or tries to get away with doing...or not doing...:D :D

Welcome Trainman4, glad to see that you're getting past your health problems.

Ahhh, Wickman, very nice, those candles are impressive for sure.:thumb: It would be something if you carved one in the shape of a steam loco.:)
  12. Scoobie

Scoobie Member

I work at a major Medical device Manufactor as a Materials and Haz Mat coordinator.
  13. Big_Al73

Big_Al73 New Member

I'm to young to retire and I owe,I owe. I'm a industrial sales engineer for hydraulics and pneumatics controls and compressor and air drying systems.
  14. wickman

wickman Member

Yep I owe I owe off to work we go sign1
    Thanks guys for the kind comments:oops: I got lots of practice.
  15. FallBuck&Scaler

FallBuck&Scaler New Member

I was a timber beast/wildlife biologist for the US Forest Service for about 15 years, when I got blown off a mountainside in Colorado by a lightning strike. Went on (forced to) disability, taught myself how to use a computer and now am more or less retired with a digital camera, Photoshop and some HO scale trains to mess around with...
  16. trainman4

trainman4 Member

Sounds like we both lucked out in a way.of course i didn't get hit with lightening.Well you know the old saying things could be worse.have a good day.:wave:
  17. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Almost 15 years combined in the USAF and Air National Guard flying the C-9, C-5B Galaxy and the "Mighty Herc" - the C-130 H3 (97 combat missions in Iraq)...worked for USAirways then Pan Am...now a captain flying a Citation X with NetJets (world's largest fractional ownership company). Started in N scale when I was a teenager and hadn't brought them out of the box since last year after my kids begged me to run them around a simple oval. I also have a serious problem buying diesels I really don't need or have the space to run...yet...but my LHS owner knows me by first name!
  18. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I was a Communist for the FBI.

I am retired now.
  19. wickman

wickman Member

WOW ... does it get any cooler that ...NOT:thumb:
  20. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Naw...the only cool part of that posting is that my LHS knows my name finally. I like walking into a place where they are glad you dropped by. But thanks for the thumbs up...though I imagine if everyone started telling their war stories, there'd be quite a few with more interesting stories of true military valor. To those who served down through the years - I respectfully salute.