What do you do?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Something just struck me, we have a very diverse group here, some are still in school, some are retired and others are hacking out a living, and probably can't wait to get home to work on their layouts.:D

So... it would be great to hear what each one here does now, and those that are enjoying retirement or time off, what they did do when they worked.

I can start it off by saying that I'm a retired electronic engineer. I worked on my first Univac computer back in the 60's, and have about 40 years computer experience and with designing control systems. We had a small electronic manufacturing company for about 25 years and sold it to a friend when we retired.

How about you????:wave: :wave:

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I work at a transitional program for homeless, mentally ill adults--I'm not a psychiatrist or anything, more of what is called a "paraprofessonal"--I help keep the house running smoothly, refer clients to services and help them find more long-term and independent housing. I'm also here to handle various crises and emergencies. It's nice work.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
I taught instrument flying to Air Force cadets for a few years, then switched to tower and radar control. Retired from the AF in '68 and got on with FAA as an enroute air traffic controller at Houston. Got a medical retirement in '80 and been recovering since. The biggest problem is that when retired, there is no time to do anything. You're always busy.

I've been on about 20 mission trips with various churches, worked in soup kitchens, both cooking and delivering.

All in all, I have stayed pretty busy, and loved every minute of it. I believe that is why the Lord has kept me on this earth for so long, He's not through with me yet.

Happy New Year to one and all.

Lynn

Wabash Banks

Mar 11, 2005
Indiana
I am a software support tech. I when the developers publish their bugs I get to find them! I have been doing this line of work for about 10 years now. I had a career in the restaurant field before that. I would like to ditch out on the tech job eventually and open my own restaurant.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I was the lead maintenance technician at a nuclear waste processing plant until I was forced to retire due to medical problems.
Before that I worked as an auto and diesel mechanic.

Harpo

Jan 21, 2005
Raleigh NC
Retired military bandsman (30 years). Brass player, also brass and woodwind repair guy. Had my own musical instrument repair business for about 6 years. Still play professionally, although somewhat less often now. Took up harp playing and building celtic harp kits about 10 years ago. About to become a clergy spousal unit in a few months as my wife finishes the schooling part of her very long, long path in that direction. Enjoying life fully, with lots of unexpected twists and turns.

Harpo

N

nachoman

still in school - in the midst of a geosciences master's program. I'll be looking for jobs by this summer :)

kevin

May 27, 2004
Winnipeg,MB
Security Tech

I mostly install CCTV and card access systems in commercial settings. As well as Nurse call and patient wandering systems in hospitals. Can be intresting work, but not what i plan to do forever. Once i can afford the EMT course im hoping to be a paramedic for the remainder of life.:thumb:

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I'm a dental lab tech and make fake teeth (crowns and bridge). No dentures. And please don't ask if I can make some teeth for you. You need to go to the dentist first, sorry.:D Seriously, I get a lot of people asking me if I can.

I changed from my previous profession because I was made an offer that I couldn't refuse and don't regret it one bit. I have a background in precision sheetmetal work, included CNC punch programmming and operation/maintenence, design, welding, toolmaking and machining, but when it comes down to it, I do less now and make more money, so...

I also spent a few years in the oilfields of the Gulf of Mexico.

In-between all of this I acquired a few years of college.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I was an aircraft mechanic for 11 years until I wrecked my back and had surgery. For the past 2 years I've been working in a powdercoating plant but the dust is starting to get to me (and the low pay) so recently I got my trucking license and I'm looking for a local job in that field.

kadidle

Nov 10, 2005
Vaughn MT
www.rail-exchange.com
I'm currently a part-time lab tech, and full time farmer. I do some Internet consulting (amazingly it makes more then everything else combined!) I used to setup and configure microwave MDS/MMDS systems for broadband Internet, but the long hours turned me off. I also used to setup and maintain Web, DNS, Mail, and DHCP servers as part of my job.

During the winter you'll find me working on web sites more then anything, and getting in the wife's hair! :D

FiveFlat

Dec 26, 2005
Galt, CA
Hey Ezdays - another Electronic Engineer here. I'm still in the work force though... I worked on the Airborne RADAR system in the Air Force, after that went to work for a Swedish company that manufactures Linear Accelerators for cancer treatment. That job involved ALOT of travel and time away from my family, so I ended up going to work for one of my customers. I hang out at their clinic to service their 3 machines they have. I like my job, but working on electronics, and RF is not my hobby.
At home I breed and train Quarter Horses and most recently began playing with trains with my son.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Wow - lots of diversity here :)

I've been in the same job now for 23 years, (April 2006 will be my 24th anniversary)
Maintaining a Maintenance Parts Warehouse for a Housing Authority and maintaining their web site. Also, I'm trying to get my home based "Desktop Publishing/Computer Tech" business off the ground. I design business cards, web sites and other custom forms & pages as needed. I am also the tech support guru for my family & friends :) I'm also an avid amature photographer.

Before and during my employment in the warehouse, I have designed a baldwin historical Website. I also collect Baldwin artifacts and railroadiana. I've worked on Computers for 10 years, worked on cars ( I owned a '72 catalina for 5 years) & light trucks (engines - no bodywork) and have volunteered at a local Railroad Museum, where I worked on restoring train engines (most notably the engine seen in Hello Dolly) & some rolling stock.

I injured my back in '84 here at work and when I re-injured it at the Museum, rebuilding a passanger car, I had to move over to Education. So now I'm a volunteer teacher.

All this background knowlege helped me get this volunteer Administrator position here at The gauge. :D In the past 5 - 6 years (after being a Best man in a Renn faire wedding) I have become facinated with renaisannce fairs and have built a collection of celtic & movie swords and knives. We go to the Renaisssannce Faire in PA from August to October every year. I collected swords for 15 - 20 years, this just gave me a reason to get more :D :D :D We get dressed up & wear our swords & knives to the faire :D :D

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Interesting...Kinda like the "Face with a Name Thread"
After leaving the army after ten years of working on Cobra Attack helicopters, then Apaches, I got a job at Siko....a major helicopter company here in Connecticut, working on Seahawks(Navy version of the Blackhawk) and Jayhawks(Coast Guard) and even did one year in research and devolpment work(mechanic) on the very first Commanche. I worked there for ten years before a company induced retirement(Lay-off)
During that time I went to school for American Sign Language and recieved an Asscociates Degree in ASL, with a minor in Creative Writing.
I went into machine set-up and operate for a bearing company for two years til they decided the company wanted a change of scenery.(Moved to Pennsylvania) Since then did Machine set/op for a couple of companies in the area( One company got sold to another and the parent company moved it south, and a two more company induced retirements) Afetr the second lay-off, I went to work for a bottle company doing set/op on shuttle type extrusion blow molding machines, and gaines extensive knowledge of the plastics industry.
After four years of inhaling PVC fumes, I left the company and now I set/op roll threaders for a screw company. Been there two years now.
Don't have much outside of work, watch NASCAR and the Washington Redskins, model railroading and moderator for the Gauge and editor for the on-line magazine.

tonphil1960

Dec 29, 2005
North Haledon NJ
What

Well,
I worked as a tractor,trailer mechanic for about 16 years,, worked on trucks and equip. in South Kearny Conny rail yard and Port Newark NJ. shot my back out,, been driving for about 10 years now. Dump Trucks.
Hey Glen, get into a dump truck, good money short hours depending on what excactly you do.

Tony