What do you do day-to-day on your layout??

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Here's a good one for the bean counters :)

How much time do you spend on scenery & other construction as compaired to running trains??

I've been spending all of my time designing and building new rolling stock and building buildings. Not running trains at all.

Gary Pfeil

Ditto. Hardly ever run trains. Even as I open up new areas of the layout, I find myself drawn to working on the layout, not running it. And the construction process pretty much makes the layout not runnable till a good cleaning. If someone is coming over, I go into clean mode and run while they are there, then get back to work.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I like to give my trains a run at least once a week to help keep the track clean. The rest of the MR time I am building structures.

toolman

Tend to operate than build, also if time permits. Today is my day off and my second job, didn't need me today.... I repair commerical cleaning equipment, got chores to do around the house so maybe tonite I'll run.

spitfire

I haven't done much work on the layout since my last hiatus over the Christmas holidays. But, once again I have a nice long break between semesters (I teach btw), so I have big plans for the layout.

I've been detailing engines, doing a little scratchbuilding in my spare time, but the major thing that needs to get done is ballast and scenery.

As for what I've done on the layout TODAY - um.......well........nothing really. Now, where's that icon for a sheepish grin?

Val

jcoop1

No layout yet for me, my day to day things involve reading "The Guage" 2-3 times a day and working my trackplan. Not so much track plan now because I think I got a finial version. I just need to work out the yard and some of the sidings.

Now moving on to aquiring realestate for the empire. I have been working on realestate rights with the master of the house, that is going very good. May get on to starting some bench work soon. Have to spend more time doing and less time reading though.....

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Well, day to day, I usually visit The Gauge, do some RR-related reading, and try to do some planning/organizing on whatever project is up next.

I would guess that like N Gauger and others, I do more on structures, rolling stock, and other projects than actually running trains.

Andrew

ausien

I try to run trains every day, but as I have a board off directors,(haha) more like elbow benders,we only work on yhe layout on a monthly basis, my responcabilaty is the running stock, locos, trucks, passenger sets ect.. to see if they are opperational, I must run trains (right)... have a good one steve.

Sir_Prize

Since my perposed layout is in my bedroom...
I stare at it each morning and see if it gives me the feeling of being what it would be like if the real thing... are the buildings layed out correctly, the track, the ground, the streets... Does it seem like it will be fun to operate; will it operate; will "operations" work...
Do this again during the day (when off work), after work, when I'm putting a structure back on the layout after working on it.
Reapeat for a while when I go to bed.
I've even taken my glasses off and stared at it from my bed, some 10ft away... I can't see clearly past 5ft without'em.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I have lately been working on dioramas. I also have been building and weathering rolling stock. We just finished relaying track so we (the kids and I) can run trains.

cidchase

I normally try to go down to the basement and look at my trains

Now THIS is a classic answer, how true, how true!! Somehow real life
tends to severely impinge on our time for hobby activities :D :D

Right now I'm doing double duty, listening to "Car Talk" while reading
The-Gauge :) :)

CBCNSfan

When I started to build my layout I had a much different perspective of what a model railroad should look like. Since I started to visit the forums see what others have done, accept their ideas and advice, my main day to day work is changing the cookie cutter structure of the layout from the toy train type layout to one that can truly be sceniced in realistic manner. The main problem now is I'm getting to be a nit picker in regards to my own modeling
Cheers

daily?

I guess I'm AADD. (that's the Ancient kind) I build up the ground-work, lay track, put cars together, build bridges, whatever strikes my fancy at the time. i'm anxious to get some track finished so I ca get some trains running.

Before I tore the old one down I used to try to run as much as I could, to keep the locos in running order, and keep the tracks clean.

Lynn

C

Catt

Run Trains??? :eek: What and get my nice layout all cluttered up with ugly ,nasty,weathered,freightcars and locomotives???Are youse guys nuts??

Actually the big layout is just setting there collecting junk.but the little layout actually sees some rail action a couple times a month.

I've been in a kitbashing,building,painting,decaling mood lately.The layout(s) will just have to wait their turn(s).

ezdays

Out AZ way
Day to day progress is slow. After moving and recovering from shoulder surgery, I got my benchwork rebuilt and cleaned the tracks and got the wiring sorted out again. Since I had two bridges to replace and a lot of scenery and structures to finish, I spent some time on the bridges and sceniced around them, and now I'm dedicating my time to structures before I can get back to working on the layout.

How does that measure out? If I average out the past couple of months that I have gotten back into doing things, I'd say it is around 99.999% for working on the layout and building structures, and the rest of the time running trains, (just to check the trackwork).:D:D

How will that work in the future? Well, since I like building models and scenery more than I do running trains, I'd say it might go as high as 10% running trains and 90% working on the layout since I have plans...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

shaygetz

...move "in progress" projects from one end or side to the other to make room for more "in progress" projects :rolleyes: Somewhere under there is a layout waiting to have the remaining 75% scenicked :thumb: :D