What do you call it?

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by XavierJ123, Dec 27, 2005.

  1. XavierJ123

    XavierJ123 Member

    What do you call the very front of the steam locomotive? You know the part with the headlight? Is it the boiler backhead? And is there a thread somewhere that covers and defines model railroading nomenclature? Like what is a:
    3. etc.,etc.,etc., ???????
  2. Triplex

    Triplex Active Member

    I'm not sure what the name for the front surface is, but the cylindrical body of a steam engine isn't all boiler. The front section is the smokebox. Look at a picture of a Union Pacific Big Boy or Challenger - the smokebox is gray while the boiler is black.
  3. jim currie

    jim currie Active Member

    what you refering to is the smoke box front and some of the later steamers had a small access door in the front cover. also the smoke box front on some locomotives was hinged itself.as to a thread covering that i don't know but i belive that the Model railroaders encyclopedia has one. also the older locomotive cyclopedia up to the 1952 edition have a Dictionary of locomotive terms for steam in them.
  4. zedob

    zedob Member

  5. steamhead

    steamhead Active Member


    The "Train Shed Cyclopedia" Vol. 22, refers to the section of the boiler beneath the smoke stack as the "smokebox", and its front end as the "smokebox cover".

    Gus (LC&P).
  6. 60103

    60103 Pooh Bah

    The backhead is the other end of the boiler, I think we use it to refer to the bit of the firebox that is in the cab, with all the controls and gauges and stuff hung from it.
    I think we should start a thread of definitions -- and possibly translations.

Share This Page