What do you call it?

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
What do you call the very front of the steam locomotive? You know the part with the headlight? Is it the boiler backhead? And is there a thread somewhere that covers and defines model railroading nomenclature? Like what is a:
1.Truck
2.Driver
3. etc.,etc.,etc., ???????

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm not sure what the name for the front surface is, but the cylindrical body of a steam engine isn't all boiler. The front section is the smokebox. Look at a picture of a Union Pacific Big Boy or Challenger - the smokebox is gray while the boiler is black.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
what you refering to is the smoke box front and some of the later steamers had a small access door in the front cover. also the smoke box front on some locomotives was hinged itself.as to a thread covering that i don't know but i belive that the Model railroaders encyclopedia has one. also the older locomotive cyclopedia up to the 1952 edition have a Dictionary of locomotive terms for steam in them.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,

The "Train Shed Cyclopedia" Vol. 22, refers to the section of the boiler beneath the smoke stack as the "smokebox", and its front end as the "smokebox cover".

Gus (LC&P).

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The backhead is the other end of the boiler, I think we use it to refer to the bit of the firebox that is in the cab, with all the controls and gauges and stuff hung from it.
I think we should start a thread of definitions -- and possibly translations.